| Music, Theater and Dance
Leaps and Bounds Artist in Residency 2013
Application Deadline: Thursday, September 19, 2013
Click here to download application
Click here to download print version and application
Leaps and Bounds Artist-in-Resident program is in its fifth (5) year. This is an annual choreographic opportunity that showcases a broad spectrum of choreographers, which represent contemporary, traditional modern dance, Hip-Hop, African Diaspora movement forms, Flamenco, Ballet, World Dance forms and Dance Theatre. The residency offers choreographers a venue to present their work and also provides opportunities for the creator, spectator and the performer to broaden their knowledge about the field of dance from a triadic perspective.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
Leaps and Bounds is a vital resource for brilliant choreographers that offer a safe and nurturing environment to hone their craft. The varying levels of expertise within the program provide a unique environment in which the emerging, evolving, and established artists are resources for each other. Choreographers, performers and spectators can be reinvigorated and inspired by the innovations of various dance styles and perspectives.
Choreographers will have the opportunity to work with dancers from the MDC Kendall Campus Dance program and the community to explore, expand and experiment with dance as broad art form.
Auditions for the Leaps and Bounds Artist-in-Resident will be held in September 2013 at Miami Dade College Kendall Campus. Two (2) Choreographers will be selected to present their work at The Art of Dance Concert, McCarthy on December 7 and 8, 2012 and the Artistry In Rhythm Dance Conference (AIR Dance Conference), April 12 & 13, 2012 at Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus, 11011 SW 104 th Street, Miami, Florida 33176.
- Multiple performances with strong production value
- Lighting Design support
- Press Kit Development/Support: Performance DVD and photo shoot (if needed) -Marketing and PR support with extensive outreach
- Exposure to press, presenters and diverse audiences
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE LEAPS AND BOUNDS ARTIST-IN-RESIDENT
- Submit a complete application to the MDC Kendall Campus Dance Program team via firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit your application electronically by Thursday, September 19, 11:59pm
- Auditions for dancers will be held at Miami Dade College Kendall Campus, 11011 SW 104 th Street, Miami, Florida 33176. Choreographers interested in being a part of Leaps and Bounds need to be available for all auditions, tech dates and performance dates.
- For more information please contact Michelle Grant-Murray at email@example.com or at 305-237-2426/2282.
- Submit a fifteen (15) video of your choreographic work. No editing and/or special effects.
- Submit a current Artist Statement
- Submit a CV or resume’
- Completed Leaps and Bounds Application
- One photo of you, the choreographer (jpeg image to be submitted electronically)
- Choreographers should be prepared to answer questions from the audition panel about their work, their process, their background, and creative goals and why they are interested in participating in Leaps and Bounds Artist in Residency Program.
Selected Choreographers will receive detailed information in regards to their ubmission acceptance no later than September 25, 2012
GUIDELINES FOR THE SELECTED ARTIST
Please note the following requirements for the selected Leaps and Bounds Artist in Resident.
- Teach two (2) Master Classes in the dance technique or style desired by the Artist (choreographer) between October 29 – December 4, 2012
- Completed an eight (8) - fifteen (15) minute choreographed work that will be presented in the Art of Dance Faculty Concert, December 7 & 8, 2012 .
- Due to the shared format and performance space of the Leaps and Bounds Choreographers and performances, overly complex scenic and/or design elements are discouraged.
- Submitted works should have reasonable technical specifications.
- The use of set pieces and substances such as powder, rosin, or liquids that may damage the stage as well as the use of open flames are not permitted.
- All scenic elements must be flame retardant and certified, and no objects may be secured to the stage floor. Light cues are limited and under the direction of the Leaps and Bounds Lighting Designer
- Leaps and Bounds Choreographers must attend the Meet and Greet (December 8, 2012)
- Comply with all guidelines for technical and dress rehearsal Works should range from 8-15 minutes, be finished or nearly finished and ready for presentation no later than December 4, 2012.
- A CD/DVD player provided as well as a jack for MP3 players is available during rehearsals.