Guidelines for Submitting a Petition
Since information regarding procedures and dates
for withdrawal is widely publicized, the Petitions Committee, which
reviews and makes recommendations to the Dean about each student
request, will not consider petitions from students who claim they
“did not know” procedures and withdrawal dates. The Committee
will consider written petitions from students who are requesting
exceptions to the college’s financial and withdrawal policies. Each
petition submitted must be accompanied by appropriate documentation.
A separate form must be used each term.
Petition forms can be picked up in the Dean’s Office, Room 3204 or in Advisement Services, Room 3152.
How Petitions are Processed and Decided
In accordance with the forgiveness policy of the
state of Florida Articulation Agreement, failing grades should be
adjusted by repeating a course.
Decisions on petitions are based on the following
- “I” grades are awarded on the basis
of a contract between the student and the instructor and, therefore,
are not reviewed by the Petitions Committee. For change of an “I”
grade, the student should contact the instructor. The “I”
grade cannot be changed to a “W”.
- The Committee is authorized to consider grade
changes to a “W” only when extenuating circumstances existed
and prohibited the student from officially withdrawing from the
course by the appropriate deadline. In no instance is the Committee
authorized to deal with grade changes which question the professional
judgment of the faculty member of the student’s performance in the
course. Any grade changes other than the “W” should be
made through the academic department.
- A petition may be submitted for a refund for
the following events occurring prior to the midpoint of the term:
- Illness or injury to the student or immediate
- Involuntary work schedule change or transfer.
- Jury duty or direct involvement by the student in a current
NOTE: Appropriate documentation must be provided!
The instructor must agree that the course cannot be completed. The
event must result in an extended absence of no less than nine (9)
consecutive class hours.
If the above listed events occur after the midpoint
of the term, you may petition only for a withdrawal without refund.
The course will be listed on the transcript with a “W”
but it will not be included in the Standards of Academic Progress
calculations of the ratio of credits registered to credits earned.
- The Committee cannot authorize a refund without
also deleting the grade from the transcript. If the grade or registration
was used for Veterans, Immigration, or Financial Aid purposes, THESE
AGENCIES WILL BE NOTIFIED.
- APPEALS FOR A GRADE CHANGE OR REFUND MUST BE
SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN THE END OF THE FOLLOWING MAJOR TERM.
Procedures for Petitioners
- READ the Guidelines CAREFULLY.
- SUBMIT a personal letter with the completed Request
for Petitions Action form.
- PROVIDE documentation, such as a doctor’s letter,
copies of hospital bills, or statements from employers on their
official letterhead, that support your position along with the personal
letter and petition application form.
- INCLUDE your name, address, student identification
number, social security number, and telephone number.
- INDICATE your reason for submitting the petition,
and the course(s) for which it is being filed, and whether or not
you were receiving financial aid, or Veterans Benefits during the
- SIGN the petition and the letter.
- KEEP a copy of everything for your records.
- MAIL or DELIVER the completed petition package
Office of the Dean
Student Services Division
Miami-Dade College, Kendall Campus
11011 S. W. 104 Street, Room 3204
Miami, Florida 33176-3393