Alternative Pathway to Teacher Certification
Become a Certified Teacher in just one year!
The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) is an intensive State Approved competency-based alternative pathway to teacher certification in an accelerated mode for non-education majors who have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and wish to become “highly qualified” teachers and obtain a professional state certificate.
- Assists participants in completing all requirements prior or during their first year of teaching regardless of their employment status as permanent or temporary teachers.
- Offers a rigorous curriculum to prepare professionals in all critical teaching areas: lesson planning, classroom management, assessment, the use of technology, and differentiated instruction.
- A nine-course program (21 credits) that can be completed in three semesters.
- The program adheres to rigorous national and state standards.
- Must be completed in its entirety, including clinical education for certification.
- Classes are held on four consecutive weekends on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Full admission to Miami Dade College
- Copy of valid, Official Statement of Status of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education
- Copy of official college transcripts reflecting a non-education bachelor’s degree
- Passing scores on all sections of the General Knowledge Test
- EPI Application
- Background clearance
- Recommendation forms
- Student Acknowledgement of Responsibilities
- For an EPI application, contact us at 305-237-6203, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t delay your dream of becoming a teacher any longer, contact us today.
- For more information regarding admission requirements please contact email@example.com
- By contacting the Florida Department of Education:
- By e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to have an application mailed to you
- By phone 1-800-445-6739
- Submit the completed application, official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions, and $75.00 for each subject area of certification to the Florida Department of Education.
- Coursework- (all 21 credits must be completed)
- First Semester
- EPI0001- Classroom Management
- EPI0002- Instructional Strategies
- EPI0003- Technology
- Second Semester
- EPI0004- Teaching and Learning
- EPI0010- Foundations of Research Based Practices in Reading
- Third Semester
- EPI0030- Diversity
- EPI0945- Field Experience I
- EPI0020- Professional Foundations
- EPI0940- Field Experience II
- First Semester
- Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE)
- General Knowledge Test
- Subject Area Examination
- Professional Examination
- Electronic LiveText Portfolio of Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs)
MDC SOE EPI Program will issue a certificate of completion (form CT 133) to the FLDOE only after all of the following requirements are satisfied:
- Valid Statement of Status of Eligibility from FLDOE Bureau of Educator Certification showing eligibility for certification
- Completion of each EPI course, with a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Completed and documented clinical education experience(s) appropriate to the student's individual educational plan
- LiveText E-Portfolio indicating mastery of all required FEAPs for the declared age-level and subject area for certification
- Passing scores on the FTCE (all three sections) with documentation sent to the MDC SOE EPI office
- Satisfaction of all financial and programmatic obligations to MDC
EPI courses earn “institutional credit.” This credit is recognized by the FLDOE only for the purpose of determining that all EPI program requirements have been met for the purpose of earning eligibility for teacher certification in Florida. While EPI course credit may be transferable to other EPI programs in Florida, it cannot be transferred to an associate’s, bachelor's, or higher degree program.
Individuals qualifying for the REVEST program, may qualify for a scholarship to complete the Educator Preparation Institute - College Credit Certificate. For more information, contact REVEST at 305-237-7056 or 305-237-5921.