Official Event of
CONFERENCE OPENING REMARKS
- Conference Opening Remarks
UNDERSTANDING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FOOD & HEALTH
9:00 a.m.–10:30 a.m. – Moderator: Linda Gassenheimer- TV and radio personality, syndicated journalist, and food consultant
Is Better Food the Prescription for a Healthier America – What's Making Us Sick Anyway?
How has the American diet changed over the last century and is it the root cause of chronic modern-day illnesses like diabetes, cancer, obesity or allergies? Could the cures to these diseases simply lie in better nutrition? A panel of health experts will discuss this complex topic and confront current social beliefs related to food and well-being.
- Dr. Camillo Ricordi, Member, Advisory Board of Barilla Center for Food and Nutrition; and Director, University of Miami Diabetes Research Institute
- Dr. Paolo Romanelli / Dr. Robert Kirsner / Dr. Antonella Tosti - University of Miami Medical School – Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
- Dr. Michael Pacin, Founder, Florida Center for Allergy & Asthma Care, Allergy and Immunology specialist and noted speaker/author on food allergies
- Dr. Timothy S. Harlan, Asst. Professor of Medicine in Cardiology, Tulane University School of Medicine
- Dr. Antonio Giordano, Director & Professor - Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Temple University
BRIDGING NEW AND OLD WORLD CUISINE: COOKING FOR HEALTH
10:40 a.m. – 12:00 Noon – Moderator: Michele Gillen, Emmy award winning chief investigative reporter at CBS4
Can we re-learn and re-integrate the culinary knowledge of our past into today’s modern lifestyle?
A panel of food experts explore the health and nutritional aspects of Old World cuisine from the Mediterranean and discuss how age-old ingredients, techniques and flavors can be incorporated into modern American cuisine for a healthier society.
- Lidia Bastianich, American celebrity chef, television host, author and restaurateur
- Paolo Cuccia, President/CEO, Gambero Rosso Foundation
- Mitchell Davis, Chief Creative Officer, James Beard Foundation
- Dorothy Cann Hamilton, Founder and CEO of International Culinary Center and President of the USA Pavillion at Expo Milan 2015
LUNCHEON WITH KEYNOTE SPEAKER(S):
INTRODUCING EXPO MILAN 2015: Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life
12:00 Noon – 2:00 p.m.
- Mayor Tomás P. Regalado, City of Miami
- Mr. Piero Galli, Director, Event & Entertainment for Expo 2015 Milano
- Eugenio Magnani – Director Italian National Tourist Board North America
- Ambassador Philip T. Reeker, United States Consul General in Milan
- Giovanni Fava, Commissioner of Agriculture of the Lombardy Region
- Professor Sergio Pecorelli, Provost of the University of Brescia and President of National Pharmaceutical Agency in Italy
- Consul General Adolfo Barattolo, Consul General of Italy in Miami
- Giancarlo Albano, Trade Commissioner, Italian Trade Commission Miami
- Dr. Jose Vicente, President, Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus
- Arthur J. Furia, Esq., Conference Chair, Member-Board of Directors of Miami Dade College Foundation and partner, Shutts & Bowen, LLP
- Mike Piazza, 12 Time All Star Major League baseball player; author of “Long Shot” and MDC Alumni
- Tony May, renowned Italian restaurateur for 4 decades, author of “Italian Cuisine: Basic Cooking Techniques”
- Dorothy Cann Hamilton, Founder and CEO of International Culinary Center and President of the
USA Pavilion at Expo Milan 2015
- Joseph Del Raso, Esq. (Chairman) and John M. Viola (President & COO) National Italian American Foundation (NIAF)
- Roberto Iarussi, internationally acclaimed opera tenor
- “FOOD FOR LIFE” Award:
- Presenter: Patricia de Stacy Harrison, CEO, Corporation for Public Broadcasting, formerly Assistant US Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs
** Award Recipient: Lidia Bastianich **
Lidia Bastianich is an award-winning restaurateur specializing in Italian cuisine who’s behind acclaimed eateries like Felidia, Becco and Del Posto in New York as well as the venue Eataly which has locations in New York and Chicago and will open in Sao Paolo and Los Angeles later this year. She has authored several books and hosted a series of companion cooking shows, including her most recent, Lidia’s Kitchen. She has won an Emmy for her work on television.
OLD WORLD, NEW WORLD FOOD and ITS IDENTITY
2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Moderator: Evan Benn – Miami Herald Food Editor
What are the connections between American food and its Old World predecessors?
America is a melting pot of cultures, each with its own culinary heritage. The Old World built the foundation and contributed the main ingredients to America’s modern cuisine. How did we get here? And where do we go from here? A diverse panel of food experts discusses this topic and our expanding responsibilities in a global marketplace.
- Scott Conant, Award-winning celebrity chef, TV personality, restaurateur, and cookbook author
- Richard Ingraham – CEO, Chef RLI; Private Chef to Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade; Member,
Advisory Committee - Miami Culinary Institute
- Tony May, renowned Italian restaurateur for 4 decades, author of "Italian Cuisine: Basic Cooking Techniques"
- Fabio Parasecoli, Director of Food Studies Program, The New School for Public Engagement NYC
- Alberto Prealoni, Wine Specialist in both Italy and the USA over 30 years
- Maricel Presilla, Chef, Culinary Historian and Author of Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America; named "Best Chef – Mid Atlantic" by the James Beard Foundation
CELEBRITY “CHEF FINALE” AT MDC CULINARY INSTITUTE FOOD & WINE THEATER
* Event Cancelled
MIAMI INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL Movie Presentation and North American Premiere Showing “REWINED”(screening at Regal Cinema South Beach) as part of the MIFF’s Culinary Cinema series.
Introduction of Miami-Dade College Culinary Institute and Gambero Rosso’s CEO, Paolo Cuccia by host Lee Schrager as a Community Co-Partner
Movie & Dinner package (immediately following film premiere) at Macchialina Taverna Rustica on South Beach:
MDC wishes to thank our Host Committee Partners