Federal Direct Stafford Loans
Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. (Some people refer to these loans as Stafford Loans or Direct Stafford Loans.)
How to Apply for Federal Direct Stafford Loan
All borrowers must complete all steps each academic year they borrow.
- Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). After you receive the Miami Dade College award letter, you may follow the steps below.
- Complete the Loan Entrance Counseling. You must complete and submit a copy of the undergraduate Entrance Counseling. Sign in to "Manage my Federal Direct Loan" in order to complete the Entrance Interview.
- Submit the NSLDS history. You must submit a copy of the NSLDS Federal Direct Stafford Loan history.
- Submit Repayment Calculator. You must submit a copy of the monthly Repayment Calculator based on your current loan debt listed on the NSLDS history.
- Complete the Electronic Master Promissory Note. Sign in to "Manage my Federal Direct Loan" in order to complete and electronically sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form. You must complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
*All documents requested should be submitted by you in person to your financial aid office, or can be uploaded through your Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form.
- To be eligible students must be enrolled and attending at least half time (eligible 6 credits or more) for each semester for which the loan is intended.
- Your loan may be modified, cancelled, and/or returned if you dropped or withdraw to below half-time status (less than 6 credits).
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan proceeds are disbursed after the semester begins and enrollment is verified.
- First time borrowers will receive the first disbursement 30 days after the first day of class.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan fund can only be received for up to 30 credits of remedial courses.
- Eligibility changes (i.e. change in enrollment, change in academic program of study) may change your eligibility and may cause the loan to be reduced or cancelled.
- Additional funds received after the loan is processed may change the certified amount.
- Be aware that all fees and current financial obligations owed to the college will be deducted from the financial aid award, which includes all loan programs.
- Refunds will be made after the 100% refund date.
- You must read the Borrowers Rights and Responsibilities and Annual Loan Maximums.
- Your Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan eligibility may change if you receive additional aid (such as scholarships, fellowships, departmental and agency award), if you change your enrollment, housing plans. If your eligibility for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan changes, we may:
- Cancel your loan;
- Reduce future disbursements for your loan; and/or
- Refund amounts already delivered to you.