Guidelines for Submitting a Petition
Since information regarding procedures and dates for withdrawal is widely publicized, the Petitions
Committee, which reviews and makes recommendations to the Dean about each student request, will not
consider petitions from students who claim they "did not know" procedures and withdrawal dates.
The Committee will consider written petitions from students who are requesting exceptions to the college's
financial and withdrawal policies. Each petion submitted must be accompanied by appropriate
documentation. A separate form must be used each term.
How Petitions are Processed and Decided
In accordance with the forgiveness policy of the state of Florida Articulation Agreement, failing grades
should be adjusted by repeating a course.
Decisions on petitions are based on the following criteria:
- "I" grades are awarded on the basis of a contract between the student and the instructor and,
therefore, are not reviewed by the Petitions Committee. For change of an "I" grade, the
student should contact the instructor. The "I" grade cannot be changed to a
- The Committee is authorized to consider grade changes to a "W" only when extenuating
circumstances existed and prohibited the student from officially withdrawing from the course by the
appropriate deadline. In no instance is the Committee authorized to deal with grade changes which
questions the professional judgment of the faculty member of the student's performance in the course.
Any grade changes other than the "W" should be made through the academic
- A petition may be submitted for a refund for the following events occurring prior to the midpoint of
Note: APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTATION MUST BE PROVIDED! The instructor must agree that the course
cannot be completed. The event must result in an extended absence of not less than nine (9)
consecutive class hours.
- Illness or injury to the student or immediate family.
- Involuntary work schedule change or transfer.
- Jury duty or direct involvement by the student with a current legal action.
If the above listed events occur after the midpoint of the term, you may petition only for a withdrawal
without refund. The course will be listed on the transcript with a "W," but it will not be
included in the Standards of Academic Progress calculations of the ratio of credits registered to credits
Again, DOCUMENTATION MUST BE SUBMITTED!
- The Committee cannot authorize a refund without also deleting the grade from the transcript. If
the grade or registration was used for Veterans, Immigration, or Financial Aid purposes, THESE AGENCIES
WILL BE NOTIFIED.
- APPEALS FOR A GRADE CHANGE OR REFUND MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN THE END OF THE FOLLOWING MAJOR
PROCEDURE FOR PETITIONERS
- READ the Guidelines CAREFULLY.
- SUBMIT a personal letter with the completed Request for Petitions Action form.
- PROVIDE documentation, such as a doctor's letter, copies of hospital bills, or statements from
employers on their official letterhead, that support your position along with the personal letter and
petition application form.
- INCLUDE your name, address, student identification number, social security number, and telephone
- INDICATE your reason for submitting the petition, and the course(s) for which it is being filed, and
whether or not you were receiving financial aid, or Veterans Benefits during the term indicated.
- SIGN the petition and the letter.
- KEEP a copy of everything for your records.
- MAIL or DELIVER the completed petition package to:
Office of the Dean
Student Services Division
Miami-Dade College, Homestead Campus
500 College Terrace, Room B214
Homestead, Florida 33030