Miami-Dade College Logo

2007 Advance Payment:
Earned Income Credit - Eligibility & Credit

What is the credit?
The Earned Income Credit is a tax credit that is based on a percentage of a worker's earned income. You can get a refund even if no income tax was withheld from your pay.

How much is the credit?
The amount of the credit may vary based on actual income and the number of qualifying children that you have.

How do you receive the credit?
The credit is available by filing a federal income tax return, Form 1040 or 1040A. Or, the credit can be obtained from your employer with your pay. To do this, give your employer a completed Form W-5 Earned Income Credit Advance Payment Certificate.

Who is eligible for the credit?
Individuals may qualify for the credit if they worked and have an adjusted gross income of less than the following:

  • $12,590 ($14,590 for married filing jointly) if you do not have a qualifying child, or
  • $33,241 ($35,241 for married filing jointly) if you have one qualifying child , or
  • $37,783 ($39,783 for married filing jointly) if you have two or more qualifying children

Who is not eligible for the credit?
Individuals filing as single or married filing separately and people who exclude income from U.S. possessions, or exclude foreign earned income, or take a deduction for a foreign housing allowance are not eligible for the credit.

To find out if you will be eligible to get the earned income credit, please visit the IRS page to determine eligibility.

If you are eligible for the advance earned income credit, submit the W-5 form to Human Resources on Kendall Campus, Room 1107. The form can be found on the IRS web page at Since personal tax status changes from year to year, Form W-5 must be filed each year . Those applying for tax year 2006 will have their increase in net pay reflected in the first available check following the date Form W-5 is filed. The net increase will automatically stop in the last payday in December 2006.

For complete details on the Earned Income Credit eligibility and guidelines, refer to the IRS 596 publication at .

*The term "child" includes: Your son or daughter, your stepchild, adopted child, or a child placed with you by an authorized placement agency for legal adoption (even if the child becomes your stepchild or adopted child, or is placed with you during the year); or any other child you care for as your own child for the whole year, unless the child's natural or adoptive parents provide more than half of the support for that year. See the IRS 596 publication, Chapter 2, page 13 for complete details on qualifications.

NOTE : If you receive payments under the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program and use those payments to pay part of the cost of keeping up a home, you may not count those amounts as furnished by you.

MDC Home | Current Students | Prospective Students | Programs | Alumni | Employees | Campuses | About MDC | Help/Ask MDC
Copyright 2016 Miami Dade College.
Miami Dade College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Miami Dade College.
Miami Dade College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, marital status, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or genetic information. Contact the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs/ADA Coordinator, at 305.237.2577 for information.
Questions? Visit our Contacts page Send Feedback Mission Statement
Read our Privacy Policy.
Back to Top