Authorization to Conduct Research
Research at Miami Dade College requires prior authorization
from the District administration. As outlined in College
Procedure 1321 - Authorization to Conduct Research,
prospective researchers must fill out the Research Application and
e-mail it to the Director of Institutional Research with the appropriate attachments.
Proposals will be presented to the CASSC Research and Testing Committee for review
Include a short description under each item on the Research Application.
- Proposal stating purpose & benefits of research - Describe, and add the proposal as an attachment.
- Which one of the following does this research supprt? (Dissertation, Masters thesis, Grant, In-class, Other In-class research should be approved before the start of the semester, and approval from the University review board must be included as an attachment.
- Has the Primary Investigator successfully completed training in the responsible conduct of research? For research involving human subjects, attach documentation that the primary investigator has successfully completed training in the responsible conduct of research.
- Prior approvals (from requesting institution/agency) are present - Copies of approval from dissertation committees, and approval from the University review board must be included as an attachment.
- Investigator has made arrangements for collecting data - Describe the data collection plans here. Researchers must make their own arrangements to collect data and it is up to the researcher to get faculty cooperation if they plan to use class time. Researchers can also try alternative methods, such as setting up a table to solicit students in a common area. MDC does not provide faculty or student e-mail addresses.
- Survey instruments - Include any survey instruments researchers plan to use as an attachment
- Interviews - Include any interview protocols as an attachment
- Electronic data - If the researcher wants electronic files from MDC, specify here
- Consent forms are present or will be used where necessary - If human subjects are being used, the informed consent must be included as an attachment. It is especially important that the document indicate that subjects are free to participate or not.
- Confidentiality of data is addressed - How will the researcher ensure confidentiality?
- Estimated intrusiveness of study - Give best estimates to the three items below.
Appropriateness of study to MDC - Comment on the two items below. MDC receives many research requests and this is an important part of our consideration.
- Number of Participants
- Classroom time
- MDC faculty/staff time
- Computer time/resources
Any issues not covered above - Anything else you want to add.
- Potential benefits
- Any negative aspects
|» Research Approval Procedures
|Research approval at MDC is a two-step process: First MDC's Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews human subjects research proposals.
Once approved by the MDC IRB, research proposals are reviewed by the CASSC R&T committee. All research - whether human subjects are involved or not - must be reviewed for approval by CASSC R&T.
Miami Dade College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, marital status, age, religion, national origin,
disability, veterans status, sexual orientation, or genetic information. Contact the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs/ADA Coordinator, at 305.237.2577 for information.