Department of Music, Theater and Dance
Misty Leah Bermudez
Bachelor of Science (Music Education) from Florida International University
Master of Music (Voice Performance) from University of Miami
Highly sought after as a soloist, chamber artist, and educator, mezzo-soprano Misty Leah Bermudez has captivated critics and audiences alike with her "ravishing" voice and "compelling" concert performances (South Florida Sun Sentinel, Palm Beach Arts Paper).
Ms. Bermudez has an active career as a concert soloist, chamber artist and operatic actress. Solo concert engagements have included performances with The Southwest Florida Symphony Orchestra, Opera Naples, The San Antonio Symphony, The New World Symphony, The Back Bay Chorale in Boston, The Master Chorale of South Florida, Gulfshore Opera, Illuminarts Miami, and The Miami Symphony Orchestra. She has been a featured soloist in works such as Mendelssohn's Elijah, Duruflé's Requiem, Handel's Messiah, Bach's Mass in B Minor, Mozart's Requiem, Vaughan Williams' Serenade to Music, and Bach's St. John Passion and St. Matthew Passion. She has sung the title role in Purcell's Dido and Aeneas and the role of Siebel in Gounod's Faust. Ms. Bermudez has performed, recorded and toured extensively with Seraphic Fire, Miami's professional chamber ensemble, and she appears on both its Grammy-nominated albums. She has also sung with the Grammy-winning ensemble Conspirare in Austin, Texas and has performed with the Oregon Bach Festival, the Santa Fe Desert Chorale, Spire Chamber Ensemble in Kansas City, and the Yale Choral Artists.
Ms. Bermudez is on the Voice Faculty of Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus, where she directs the Opera Theatre Ensemble, and has maintained an active private voice studio for many years. Her students have been admitted to fine college vocal programs around the country with impressive scholarship awards. She is in demand as a visiting clinician for university music programs around the country and is the Summer Artistic Director the Civic Chorale of Greater Miami.
- Award for Excellence in Academic Achievement, Florida International University, 2000.
- Award for Excellence in Academic Achievement, University of Miami, 2004.
- Two 2012 GRAMMY® award nominations with Seraphic Fire for its albums: "Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem" and "A Seraphic Fire Christmas."
- Music Appreciation (MUL 1010)
- Opera Theater Ensemble (MUO 1501)
- Civic Chorale of Greater Miami (MUN 1310)
- Music Theory 1 (MUT 1111)
- Sightsinging & Ear Training 1 (MUT 1241)
- Voice Lessons (MVV 1101, MVV 1311, and MVV 2321)