|S.O.C.R.A.T.E.S. Tutoring Services
Student Oriented Center for Retention & Advancement through Technology & Educational Support
On-line Skills Assessment
Prescriptive Refresher Coursework
- clearly-defined and well-organized on-line assessment and instruction materials aligned to the most popular college course placement test (CPT)
- customized to the specific needs of the individual within a subject area
The S.O.C.R.A.T.E.S. Tutoring Services at the Kendall Campus’ Computer Courtyard provides a combination of instructional components to assist students in the areas of English Language Skills, Reading, and Mathematics. Anyone who wishes to improve his/her skills in these areas, and/or is seeking assistance with test preparation for the College Placement Test (CPT) and/or for the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), can participate in an on-line program, which offers the ultimate in convenience.
For a fee of $95.00, a student can gain access to the program for up to 60 days, which can enhance the student’s ability to pursue his/her academic goals in a short amount of time. Fee does not apply to Title 3 STARS Program participants. The program allows students to work on-line, at any time, at their own pace, which makes this program extremely convenient for anyone who encounters time constrains and/or prefers to work from home or another location where there is internet access.
One-on-one tutoring sessions are also included with the initial program registration package and offer a more personalized form of instruction at convenient appointment times. Additional tutoring packages are also available for a nominal fee.
What does the S.O.C.R.A.T.E.S. Tutoring Services offer?
CPT Test Prep
- Students, including International students, who want to prepare to take or retake the Computerized Placement Test (CPT).
- $95.00 fee per subject area includes 3 hours of face-to-face tutoring and up to 60-day access to the On-line instructional software.
- Fee does not apply to Title 3 STARS Program participants
- No pretest is required; however, it’s strongly recommended.
- Anyone may receive test prep assistance; participants need to complete the non-credit MDC application.
- Test Prep assistance is provided in the subject areas of Arithmetic, Algebra, Reading, & English Language/Sentence Skills.
- Students declaring any type of major can participate.
- Students, including perspective students, seeking to enroll into any type of programs at MDC that require CPT test scores, including the Dual Enrollment and Advanced Studies programs may participate.
What instructional components does S.O.C.R.A.T.E.S. Tutoring Services use?
The S.O.C.R.A.T.E.S. Tutoring Services offer computerized, work-at-your-own-pace learning opportunities utilizing the A+dvancer Assessment and individualized Instructional On-line coursework software in the areas of Reading, Sentence Skills, and Mathematics.
The Reading Comprehension instructional component consists of 21 lessons that address the following skills: recognition of tone; identifying contradictory/contrasting elements; analyzing logic; following complex arguments; synthesize information; extracting implied points; recognizing main ideas; sentence relationship; organizing principles; less central ideas and more!
The Sentence Skills instructional component consists of 33 lessons that address the following skills: correcting misplaced modifiers; manipulating complex verb tenses; grammar and logic; syntax and repetitive diction; correct and incorrect linkages; correcting sentence fragments; subordinate clauses and more!
The Arithmetic instructional component consists of 25 lessons that address the following skills: integers; simple graphs; simple word problems; fractions, ratios, percent; multi-step word problems; variables; units of measurement; converting fractions, decimals, percents; division of decimals and fractions; square roots; operations on whole numbers and more!
The Elementary Algebra instructional component consists of 23 lessons that address the following skills: solving linear equations; graphic properties; quadratics; multiplying whole numbers by binomial; combining like terms; evaluating algebraic equations; multiplying binomials; factoring quadratic expressions; factoring the difference of squares; squaring binomials; simplifying algebraic expressions; performing operations with signed numbers and more!
A+dvancer Log On
Schedule a Tutoring Appointment(for registered S.O.C.R.A.T.E.S. students only)
|| 2141 - Inside the Computer Courtyard
||09:00am - 08:00pm, Monday - Thursday
09:00am - 02:00pm, Friday