What we publish:
Miambiance is a magazine of literature and art. We publish short fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, photography and visual arts. We accept both experimental and traditional work of all kinds and in any medium. No more than six submissions per student will be accepted per issue.
Who we publish:
We publish students of Kendall Campus only except for occasional contests, which are open to all MDC students and followers of the Miambiance page on Facebook. As long as you are taking at least 3 credits during the year and/or academic year of the magazine’s publication, you are eligible.
- All stories, poems, photos and art must come with a title.
- No work will be accepted without a fully completed submission form. Submission forms are available from the English & Communications Department, Room 2217, in the mailbox area or online. The submission form must be stapled to the literary manuscript or taped to the back of the art or photograph.
- We accept short stories, poetry, nonfiction, and one-act plays.
- Manuscripts should be typed on plain white paper and double-spaced. The title and byline you wish to use should be on the first page. Do not provide a separate title page.
- Do not use the fancy or exotic fonts, large-size, or boldface characters. We prefer Times New Roman or equivalent.
- We will request an electronic submission from all semi-finalists.
- We do not return manuscripts or CD’s.
- There is a word limit. Please check the submission form.
Manuscript submission form: Word, PDF
- Fill out a submission form. Write “Art” in large letters across the top. Submission forms are available in the English & Communications Department, Room 2217, in the mailbox area.
- Leave the submission forms in the mailbox marked Miambiance Submissions.
- Fill out one submission form per piece. Include cell and home numbers and e-mail address.
- It is important that contributors have a working e-mail address that is checked regularly. We will e-mail all contributors after the deadline date in order schedule the date when the evaluation will take place.
- After being contacted, all contributors will bring their artwork for evaluation on the scheduled date. Those receiving the highest evaluations will be photographed and considered semi-finalists.
- Only original work will be considered; no studies, unfinished sketches.
Art submission form: Word, PDF
How the literature is judged:
The editorial staff of Miambiance will make copies for all the readers. Poetry and short stories are art, and therefore subjective by nature, so we are not able to give you criteria for acceptance. If we do not accept your piece, it does not mean it is not good. It means the editors had other work they preferred to publish in that issue. Although our editorial staff changes every academic year, you will get a better understanding of what is likely to be accepted by reading past issues of the magazine. We encourage you to come by the English & Communications Department (room 2217) to pick up a copy of last year’s issue.
How art is judged:
You are to fill out a submission form and write ART on the top. Leave the submission form, but not the painting or work in the Miambiance submission box in room 2217. We will call you to tell you when and where the work will be judged, and on that day and time you may bring in the original work. Art students, editors and three faculty members will be there to evaluate the work. The ones receiving the highest evaluation will be considered semi-finalists. If your piece is a semi-finalist, you will be required to submit it in high resolution on a CD. The student art staff and the designer will decide what to publish.