Health Fair offered screenings, tests and nutrition information
Healthcare is a main topic of national dialogue — access, cost, quality. And Miami Dade College, always responsive to the needs of our community, reached out in a big way when the Medical Center Campus held its fifth annual free Health Fair. This year’s event, held recently and sponsored by Aetna, served more than 1,500 South Floridians, offering them glaucoma, glucose and cholesterol tests; free mammograms; blood pressure checks; dental and vision screenings; H1N1 vaccines; and information on nutrition, heart disease and cancer prevention.
The goal of the Fair was to provide medical attention to those who may not otherwise have access to it. Pharmacists from the Florida Pharmacy Association were on site to offer bone density screenings and medical information, and doctors and nurses were also on site to follow up with participants who received questionable screening results. Upon leaving the fair, visitors had a chance to fill out a survey and provide feedback on their experience.
"The best thing for me was that this fair was a blessing…for me and for the public without health insurance nor the resources to get the help that [MDC] provided us," Clarisa Sainz noted. Others suggested mainly that the fair be made a full-day event, or held more than once a year.
"When the people are telling you that they want it longer, that they want more, you know you’re doing something right," said Madeline Pumariega, dean of students and administration at the Medical Center Campus.
The fair’s visitors came from 89 different zip codes throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and even Palm Beach counties. To ensure that no one would be kept from attending due to lack of money or transportation, the College provided free shuttles to the campus from the Culmer Metrorail station.
"The turnout makes evident that these services are important to our community, and we are proud that the college — its faculty, students and community partners — can offer this care," Pumariega said.
More Academics Articles
- Chinese education officials learn, share at Medical Center Campus
- MDC hosts meetings on proposed National Museum of the American Latino
- Green living at MDC
- They’re going to Disney World!
- MDC and Digiport create co-op
- New bachelor’s degree offers high-tech opportunities
- Engineering department welcomes new chair
- Three MDC students receive $40K scholarships from Posse foundation
- STEM student achievements are honor to the college
- MDC offers firsthand look at one of world’s fastest-growing economies
- Success grant makes major impact on MDC students