Engineering department welcomes new chair
|Dr. Michael D. Whitt|
MDC’s is pleased to welcome its new Collegewide Chair for the Department of Engineering, Dr. Michael D. Whitt. Among his other responsibilities, Dr. Whitt will oversee the implementation of the first baccalaureate degree in Engineering Technology at Miami Dade College.
Dr. Whitt brings with him experience as broad and varied as it is deep and impressive. He holds a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering from Purdue University, M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Biomedical Engineering from Rutgers University and an MBA from the UCLA Anderson School of Management. His industry experience has included technical and project leadership roles in both the pharmaceutical and medical device industries. Dr. Whitt also holds three patents and has been published in various peer-reviewed journals, technical handbooks and bioengineering books.
An advisor to the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Dr. Whitt is instrumental in that group’s research and product development effort to reduce health care disparities in cardiovascular disease and improving early diagnosis.
Of the appointment, Dr. Richard White, director of MDC’s School of Computer and Engineering Technologies, says, "Dr. Whitt’s extensive industry experience and academic background make him a great asset to our school of Computer and Engineering Technologies and the Department of Engineering."
More Academics Articles
- Chinese education officials learn, share at Medical Center Campus
- MDC hosts meetings on proposed National Museum of the American Latino
- Green living at MDC
- They’re going to Disney World!
- MDC and Digiport create co-op
- Health Fair offered screenings, tests and nutrition information
- New bachelor’s degree offers high-tech opportunities
- Three MDC students receive $40K scholarships from Posse foundation
- STEM student achievements are honor to the college
- MDC offers firsthand look at one of world’s fastest-growing economies
- Success grant makes major impact on MDC students