February 2011, Volume 15, Number 1


MDC’s Diverse Faculty Shines

A+ grade

The numbers are in, and they show that Miami Dade College’s faculty is impressively educated, experienced and diverse – and becoming even more so.

Here is a closer look at MDC’s faculty members, including the 39 new hires the College recently welcomed to its ranks.

  • 95 percent have advanced degrees.
  • The average time of service at MDC is 13.5 years. The faculty who joined the College in 2010 entered with an average of 14 years of teaching experience.
  • 26 percent are MDC alumni choosing to teach at the college where they began their higher education.
  • 86 percent are U.S. citizens, and the remaining 14 percent are from 30 countries, bringing an international perspective to MDC. The new faculty members include citizens of Colombia, Cuba, Peru and Russia, among many other countries throughout the world.
  • 41 percent are Hispanic; 39 percent are white; 16 percent are African-American; and 5 percent are classified as “other.” Among the newest faculty members at the College, 46 percent are Hispanic.
  • More than half are fluent in two or more languages.
  • 53 percent are female.
  • 59 percent are age 50 or older, with an average age of 52. The average age of new faculty is 42.

“The diversity and excellence of MDC faculty have allowed for the creation of effective learning environments for the College’s students,” said Gloria León, MDC's associate provost for Faculty Initiatives. “Through its innovative efforts and the participation of its faculty in different initiatives, Miami Dade College is able to provide a solid foundation for the success of its students and prepare them for personal and professional growth in the 21st century.”

— WV

More Features Articles

Miami Dade College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees.
Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Miami Dade College.
Miami Dade College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution which does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, marital status, age, religion, national origin,
disability, veteran’s status, ethnicity, pregnancy, sexual orientation or genetic information. Additional information may be obtained by contacting the
Office of Equal Opportunity Programs/ADA Coordinator/Title IX Coordinator, at 305.237.2577.