Gilman Scholarship Opens Doors for Study Abroad
Building bridges across cultures, the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship grants up to $5,000 for outstanding U.S. students who desire to embark on the foreign-land journey of a lifetime while simultaneously earning college credit.
In the 2009-2010 school year, 10 Miami Dade College students earned the prestigious scholarship, with four students going to China and two to Morocco. The other countries where MDC students studied were Japan, the Czech Republic, Italy and the Dominican Republic.
Created in 2000, the scholarship is named after Benjamin A. Gilman, a former Republican Congressman from New York who was a World War II hero, graduated from law school and served as assistant attorney general before becoming a politician.
The scholarship provides support for students who have been traditionally underrepresented in study abroad. It specifically targets students who otherwise might not have the resources to avail themselves of the benefits of studying abroad, including community college students and those with financial needs.
Students can earn an extra $3,000 in scholarship money if they travel to a country where a “critical-need” language is spoken, such as Russian or Chinese.
Other targeted groups include students with disabilities, students who come from diverse backgrounds and students in fields such as science and engineering.
Number of Recipients Triples
Eva Fernández, MDC’s programs manager for International Education, said the Gilman Scholarship is growing in popularity among students at Miami Dade College.
“The number of MDC students who have received the Gilman has tripled in the past couple of years,” Fernández said. “The College, the community and the students all benefit from the experience as our understanding of foreign cultures grows.”
More Features Articles
- MDC President to Chair American Council on Education
- Albright Lights Up Miami and MDC
- Albright, Herbie and All That Jazz
- MDC Degrees, Certificates Pay Off for Graduates
- Aquatic Center Builds U.S. Homeland Security
- New Culinary Institute Offers Epicurean Excellence
- MDC’s Student Learning Outcomes Praised
- MDC Helps Meet U.S. Demand for Nurses
- Meek Center Keeps Building on MDC's Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Costa Rica Offers Lessons on Earth’s Wonders
- Chinese Culture Comes to Life at MDC
- Consortium Students Bring New Perspectives to MDC
- New Center to Meet Kendall Campus’ Growing Needs
- Opera Buffs Find Argentine Delights at Wolfson
- StatWay Creates Path to Success in Math
- Great Stories Give Teens New Outlooks on Life
- Health Fair is Perfect Prescription for Community
- MDC Job Fair Links Graduates to Jobs
- Partnership Improves Aviation Safety in China