Care Givers Trained at MDC Help Meet Nation’s Needs
MDC is training the next generation of care givers through its Home Health Aide Certification Program.
As millions of baby boomers enter retirement, Miami Dade College is helping the nation prepare the next generation of care givers through its Home Health Aide Certification Program. While the College trains Home Health Aides on an ongoing basis, the dislocated workers from the Walmart Brighter Futures Project Back-to-Work Center are a special group.
“All trainees in the program were unemployed and victims of the economic downturn,” said Irene Vargas, program coordinator for the grant project funded by the Walmart Foundation. “The program provides them support and encouragement, as well as paying for their training as home health aides, including their books, uniforms, stethoscopes and other items. We send trainees job leads when they have finished their training.”
The 75-hour certification program offered at North Campus teaches the skills required to care for both elderly patients and patients with a wide variety of chronic conditions.
In addition to helping meet the nation’s health care needs, the program at MDC is solving U.S. financial ailments as well by getting unemployed workers back into the job market.
Dozens of program participants have already become certified health aides, and most of them already have jobs.
“There are many opportunities for employment since there is such a high demand,” Vargas said. “And the great news for the patients is that these are people who really like to give outstanding care to others.”
More Features Articles
- MDC Makes American Dream Come True
- Gates Foundation, MDC Strive for Even Higher Graduate Numbers
- Golden Students Shine in Class of 2011
- UM, MDC to Develop Biosciences Hub
- Miami Culinary Institute Opens in Grand Style
- One-Stop Shop Streamlines Benefits Process
- Learning While Serving in Haiti
- Harvard, MDC Team Up to Train Leaders
- Green Fairs Spring Up at MDC
- MDC Bachelor’s Degrees Open Doors to Powerful Future
- Tourism Industry Lessons Learned Over Tapas
- Seamlessly Building on MDC Coursework
- MDC’s Success Makes Perfect SENSE
- Students Give MDC Services Top Grades
- Hundreds of Smiles Turn Brighter
- MDC Develops Next Generation of Leaders
- MDC Works to Meet U.S. Energy Needs
- Breath of Fresh Air Improves Lives at MDC