MDC Makes President’s Honor Roll for Fifth Year
For the fifth consecutive year, Miami Dade College has the distinction of making the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
The award, recognizing colleges and universities whose work in the community has achieved meaningful results, sends a positive message to MDC’s students.
Setting an Example
“Our students take great pride in the fact that Miami Dade College gives back to the community,” said Josh Young, director of MDC’s Center for Community Involvement. “We want our students to take what they learn in the classroom and use it to make a difference in the world. That’s what education is all about at its core.”
MDC was recognized by the Corporation for National and Community Service, which oversees the Honor Roll in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Campus Compact and the American Council on Education.
MDC has a well-earned reputation for exemplary service-learning and civic engagement, both as an institution and for its individual faculty and student projects.
The President’s Honor Roll selects honorees based on a series of criteria, including scope and innovation of service projects, percentage of student participation, incentives for service and the extent to which the school offers coursework in service learning.
The goal of the President’s Honor Roll, which was launched in 2006, is to increase the public’s awareness of the contributions colleges such as MDC make to their communities.
“This is a much-deserved designation for MDC,” Young said. “Making the Honor Roll again is a credit to the hundreds of MDC faculty members who integrated academic service learning into their classes and engaged thousands of students in course-related service.”
More Features Articles
- MDC: Best Place to Work, Again!
- MDC Producing Top Teachers
- Taxicab Driver Training Brings Back Service With a Smile
- Moving Image Archives Move Into 21st Century
- Former Colombian Leader Receives MDC’s Highest Honor
- A Noble Appointment
- Meeting the Needs of the Underserved
- Surviving the Golden Hour
- Building a Solid Future
- Virtual-Coach helps at-risk students, wins innovation award
- East Meets West at MDC’s Confucius Institute
- MDC Broadens Business Ties
- A Gateway to New Horizons
- MDC Expands Fast-Track Business Program
- Students Give A+ to Bachelor's Programs
- MDC, Wheaton Join Forces for Seamless Transfers
- Supervision Bachelor's Degree a Hit
- Work Solutions Puts People Back in Workforce
- Bachelor's in Biological Sciences to Meet Workforce Needs
- World Leaders Expand Students’ Global Perspectives
- Focusing on Diverse Abilities