Bachelor's in Biological Sciences to Meet Workforce Needs
Miami Dade College will soon offer a new Bachelor of Science with a major in Biological Sciences to meet the local demand for trained professionals in the biological/life science industries in South Florida, thanks to unanimous approval from the Florida Board of Education.
Students pursuing this degree can select one of three concentrations: biotechnology, biopharmaceutical sciences or science education. Graduates will be prepared for
in-demand careers in diverse fields, working as biological scientists,
research technicians, microbiologists, natural science managers and science teachers.
“We are extremely pleased to offer this new degree,” said Dr. Eduardo J. Padrón, president of Miami Dade College. “We know that our students will fill a critical workforce need in areas that are pivotal to our local economy, and also to the economic development efforts in this region.”
The new degree program offers students hands-on experience emphasizing skill sets and workforce-driven training that is essential and in high demand by local employers. The bachelor’s program will allow graduates to tap into the burgeoning demand for biological scientists who have four-year degrees – an area in which job growth is projected to increase by 21 percent in the next decade.
Serving the Community
The development of the new Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences is another example of Miami Dade College responding to the workforce needs of the dynamic community it serves. In addition to more than 300 associate degrees and certificate programs, this new degree is MDC’s 13th baccalaureate program, following the recently added Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology.
More Features Articles
- MDC: Best Place to Work, Again!
- MDC Producing Top Teachers
- Taxicab Driver Training Brings Back Service With a Smile
- MDC Makes President’s Honor Roll for Fifth Year
- Moving Image Archives Move Into 21st Century
- Former Colombian Leader Receives MDC’s Highest Honor
- A Noble Appointment
- Meeting the Needs of the Underserved
- Surviving the Golden Hour
- Building a Solid Future
- Virtual-Coach helps at-risk students, wins innovation award
- East Meets West at MDC’s Confucius Institute
- MDC Broadens Business Ties
- A Gateway to New Horizons
- MDC Expands Fast-Track Business Program
- Students Give A+ to Bachelor's Programs
- MDC, Wheaton Join Forces for Seamless Transfers
- Supervision Bachelor's Degree a Hit
- Work Solutions Puts People Back in Workforce
- World Leaders Expand Students’ Global Perspectives
- Focusing on Diverse Abilities