Making Their Mark
MDC Athletes Excel in MLB Draft
Miami Dade College has long been one of the nation’s top producers of major league baseball players. MDC star Brian Goodwin upheld that tradition in June, when he beat incredibly long odds to establish himself as one of his sport’s top prospects.
Goodwin, a native of Rocky Mount, N.C., was the 34th selection in the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft, getting picked by the Washington Nationals.
How impressive is it being picked 34th? Consider these odds:
There are thousands of available prospects each year, including all high school seniors, all junior-college players and all juniors and seniors playing at four-year colleges and universities.
Goodwin, an MDC outfielder, was the first player drafted from a South Florida school this year, beating prospects from the University of Miami, Florida International University and all other colleges and high schools in the area.
There are 1,500 players drafted each year from the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Players of other countries are signed separately.
Goodwin is the highest drafted MDC player since Alex Fernández was selected fourth by the Chicago White Sox in 1990.
Five other MDC players were also drafted in June. Pitcher Derek Law was selected 297th by the San Francisco Giants; pitcher Josue Montañez was taken at No. 478 by the Minnesota Twins; Jharel Cotton was picked No. 852 by the New York Mets; shortstop Jorge Vega-Rosado went No. 859 to the Toronto Blue Jays; and Adrián Morales was picked up at No. 1476 by the Kansas City Royals.
MDC coach Danny Price, who has worked with future major-leaguers such as Mike Lowell, said he has never had a prospect as talented as the lefty-swinging Goodwin.
“Brian’s combination of speed, power and an outstanding arm – that’s why he is a top prospect,” Price said. “When he goes from first to third with his long strides, it’s a beautiful thing to watch. He is very deserving of being drafted. He did a great job for us on and off the field.”
More Making Their Mark Articles
- Excelling at Yale, Helping in Mozambique
- Business Students Shine at National Competition
- New Members Join MDC Board
- True Tales of Adventure Inspire Students
- From Helping Students to Healing Patients
- Silver Scholar’s MDC Studies Turn Golden
- Ready to Lead in Dynamic Field
- MDC Ignites Sparks of Artistic Innovation
- Leading a New Batch of Bachelors
- MDC Student Earns Prestigious National Scholarship
- MDC Professor Joins Prestigious Fulbright Specialist Program
- Endowed Teaching Chairs Recognized
- School of Nursing Wins Major Awards
- MDC Joins Harvard to Inspire Young Latino Leaders