Making Their Mark
MDC Ignites Sparks of Artistic Innovation
“El Techero,” by Lester Sánchez
Shining with two of its students receiving top awards, Miami Dade College recently hosted the nationally acclaimed 25th Annual Student Art Competition of the League for Innovation.
North Campus student Lester Sánchez won First Place/Juror’s Choice in the national competition for his painting, El Techero. Meanwhile Luis Castañeda, from Wolfson Campus, placed third with Untitled, a black and white photograph. Both MDC students will receive award checks and certificates of merit from the League for Innovation, which was founded in 1968 and is dedicated to catalyzing the community college movement.
“The League’s competition serves a vital role in fostering creativity among young artists,” said Wanda Texon, associate director for curatorial affairs at MDC’s Art Gallery System and coordinator for this year’s competition. The 19 colleges in the League submitted 95 artworks, ranging from sculpture and paintings to photographs, drawings and jewelry. Jurors selected the best five student artists from each college.
Other MDC finalists were Erica Torres from Kendall Campus with Read Me, a mixed media work; Rhea Leonard from Kendall Campus with Self-Portrait, an etching; and Melissa González from New World School of the Arts with Still Life Study, an acrylic on canvas.
“This year, even the competition format itself was innovative,” Texon said. For the first time ever, jurors reviewed entries from afar using a website created by MDC’s Marketing Communications Department.
“The new technique enabled us to work with expert judges as far away as Spain,” Texon said. “Innovation really is at the core of everything we do here, both with the League and at Miami Dade College.”
More Making Their Mark Articles
- Excelling at Yale, Helping in Mozambique
- Business Students Shine at National Competition
- MDC Athletes Excel in MLB Draft
- New Members Join MDC Board
- True Tales of Adventure Inspire Students
- From Helping Students to Healing Patients
- Silver Scholar’s MDC Studies Turn Golden
- Ready to Lead in Dynamic Field
- Leading a New Batch of Bachelors
- MDC Student Earns Prestigious National Scholarship
- MDC Professor Joins Prestigious Fulbright Specialist Program
- Endowed Teaching Chairs Recognized
- School of Nursing Wins Major Awards
- MDC Joins Harvard to Inspire Young Latino Leaders