A Bachelor’s With a Bonus
EarthThinks, an online company that sells eco-friendly cases for the iPhone, iPodTouch and iPad, was created by MDC business students.
Preparing students to be entrepreneurs, MDC’s Bachelor of Applied Science in Supervision and Management offers numerous opportunities for real-world success. Recently, three MDC students captured first place for their class Capstone Project.
Miami Dade College business baccalaureate students spent a full semester developing business plans, from researching start-up costs to exploring how to hire employees, pay for insurance and maintain inventory.
Setting Up Shop
Four of the groups in the class had such strong plans that they actually launched new businesses. Capstone winners Omar Zafra, Shandra Mallary and Niva Etienne created EarthThinks, an online company that sells eco-friendly cases for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. So far, the company has sold hundreds of units and plans to open a mall kiosk.
Given the current economic climate, knowing how to lay the groundwork for a business – and then manage it sucessfully – is as important as ever.
Zafra, who had never run a business before, said MDC Professor David Call gave him the expertise he needed to excel.
“This one class taught me so much,” Zafra said. “We learned how to think about all the details of starting a business, including marketing, cash flow and balance sheets.”
More Academics Articles
- Grants Pave Road to Excellence
- Making 3,000 Dreams Come True
- MDC High Schools Set U.S. Bar Higher
- MDC Clinics Meet Local Health Needs
- Students Ace Boards
- Poised to Excel
- Perfecting Their Pitches
- Nursing Programs Gets Maximum Accreditation
- MDC Helps Girls Break Glass Ceilings
- Medical Programs Lead to Hot Jobs
- Professor Honored for Service-Learning Effort
- MDC’s Virtual College is a Role Model for Others
- Lights, Cameras, Careers!
- MDC Produces Revolutionary Tech Advances