Eduardo J. Padrón
Office of the President
300 N.E. Second Avenue
Miami, Florida 33132-2297
Message From the President
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Hurricane Andrew: A reminder to take safety precautions
Today marks the anniversary of Hurricane Andrew and serves, once again, to remind us that the paradise of South Florida can come at a price. We cannot control the unruly winds but we can be solid and secure in our preparation.
We have not experienced a severe storm in several years in South Florida and the tendency to relax preparations is always dangerous. Forecasters have recently warned of an increase in the probability of severe storms.
Please – take the necessary precautions to prepare your home and office environments, and remain aware of the various communication avenues to stay in touch with the College.
- MDC Hotline: 305-237-7500. Provides general information and updates.
- MDC Employee Hotline: 305-237-7505. Provides more detailed information about College and campus conditions and plans.
- If you have not signed up for MDC Alerts, please do so at the MDC Alerts Web site.
- MDC Alerts: Registered users will receive an alert from the College's new wireless emergency notification system when there are recommended protective actions or a change in normally scheduled College operations.
- MDC Home page: www.mdc.edu. Provides general information and updates.
- Local media: Postings regarding College closing and reopening information and other important news will be communicated to the major media.
- You may wish to consult human resources' Hurricane Preparedness Guides.