Computer Skills Placement (CSP)
The CSP assesses students' computer competency. It includes mostly performance-based simulations and some multiple choice questions taken online in a computer testing lab. Students are encouraged to review a demo, a practice guide, and take a practice test before taking the CSP. The CSP and practice test are not timed; together they take approximately 1 hour to complete (15 minutes to review the Step-by-step instructions for taking the CSP, 10 minutes to take the ten item practice test and +45 minutes to take the seventy item CSP test).
The test items include:
Basic Concepts of Information Technology
• Data storage and memory.
• How computer-based software applications are used in home computing and on the job.
• What computer information networks are and how they're used.
• How IT systems are found in everyday situations.
• How personal computers can affect your health.
• Security and legal issues associated with computers.
• Operate effectively within the desktop environment.
• Manage and organize files and directories/folders.
• Copy, move, and delete files and directories/folders.
• Work with desktop icons and manipulate windows.
• Using the search features, simple editing tools, and print management facilities available within an operating system.
Word Processing (Word)
• Carry out operations associated with creating, formatting, and finishing a word processing document ready for distribution.
• Create standard tables.
• Use pictures and images within a document. Import objects.
• Use mail merge tools.
• Develop, format, and use a spreadsheet.
• Use basic formulas and functions to accomplish standard mathematical and logical operations.
• Import objects.
• Create graphs and charts.
• Design and plan a simple database using a standard database package.
• Retrieve information from an existing database by using the query, select, and sort tools available in the database.
• Create and modify reports.
• Create, format, and prepare a variety of presentations for different target audiences or situations.
• Use graphics, charts, and various slide show effects.
Information and Communication
• Accomplish Web search tasks using a Web browser application and available search engine tools.
• Bookmark search results.
• Print Web pages and search reports.
• Send and receive messages.
• Attach documents or files to a message.
• Organize and manage message folders or directories within electronic mail software.
Only one retest is permitted for CSP. So it is very important to be prepared prior to taking the examination.
The following are links to resources for students to prepare for the CSP:
| ||AVAILABLE ▼||DAY ▼||TIME ▼|
|Hialeah Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W, R||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Homestead Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|R||8:30 AM - 2:00 PM|
|F||8:30 AM - 12:30 PM|
|InterAmerican Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W, R||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|F||8:30 AM - 1:00 PM|
|Kendall Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W, R||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|F||8:30 AM - 2:00 PM|
|Medical Testing||Walk-in basis||M, W||9:00 AM - 2:00 PM|
|T, R||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|By appointment||F||By appointment|
|North Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|R||8:00 AM - 6:00 PM|
|F||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM|
|West Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W, R||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|F||8:30 AM - 1:00 PM|
|Wolfson Testing||Walk-in basis||M, T, W, R||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|F||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Examinees must be checked-in and seated by the time scheduled in order to begin the assessment. Consequently, examinees will have adequate time to finish the assessment in a reasonable period or within the Testing Department’s Office Hours of Operation.|
|CSP||Beginning on May 12, 2008 MDC students are required to pay a fee in order to take the CSP. Course exemption (all attempts)||MDC||$30.00|
|Other Fees||This fee is used for testing students from other institutions - e.g. ACCUPLACER, PERT, COMPASS, CSP, Wisconsin Placement Exams. Maximum scheduled administration time is three hours. Plus $15.00 for each additional hour or fraction thereof. This fee includes sending scores to other institutions (all attempts).
Note: This fee is not used for course related testing such as Distance Learning Examinations.
|Official score reports to students or another institution or agency (all requests). Must fill-in and submit a Test Scores Release Form||MDC||$10.00|
|MDC testing fees are non-refundable/non-transferable. Examinees must pick up a payment form at the campus Testing Department and submit it to the Bursar’s Office prior to taking an MDC fee related test. MDC accepts cash, check, money orders, or credit/debit cards. Make sure to save the receipt for proof of payment.|
MDC administers the exam at:
|ADDRESS ▼||PHONE ▼||CONTACT ▼|