Gio Benitez of CBS4 to Kick-Off 2012 MDC Journalism Speaker Series
By Staff Reports
CBS4 reporter Gio Benitez.
Gio Benitez, a CBS4 reporter and anchor with nearly a decade of experience, will kick-off the 2012 Miami Dade College Journalism Speaker Series. The event will take place Nov. 9 at noon at North Campus, 11380 N.W. 27 Ave., Room 2151.
Benitez, a Miami Coral Park Senior High School graduate, has covered various nationally prominent stories including the Trayvon Martin case. In June 2009, he made U.S. television history when he became the first reporter to shoot a story entirely using an iPhone when Apple introduced video on the iPhone 3GS.
In January of 2010, Benitez, who is the recipient of two regional Emmy Awards from the NATAS Suncoast Chapter, traveled to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to cover relief efforts following the most devastating earthquake to ever hit the area.
The MDC Journalism Speaker Series was launched in February 2008 to create an exchange and learning opportunity for students interested in pursuing careers in journalism. To date, 41 journalists have participated in the series.
This year’s lineup includes Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Frances Robles of the Miami Herald, Boston Globe political reporter, Noah Bierman, ESPN.com reporter, Israel Gutierrez, Dallas Morning News editor and reporter, Selwyn Crawford and Sun Sentinel features writer and MDC alumni, Johnny Diaz.
More Briefing Articles
- Carbon Monoxide Awareness 5K Walk/Run
- Election Day Requirements
- Fishing Contest At Kendall Campus
- Gun Control Debate To Be Held At Kendall Campus
- Let’s Get Psyched Event At Kendall Campus
- MDC Professor Publishes ebook Against Bullying
- Miami International Book Fair At Wolfson Campus
- School Of Engineering And Technology Scholarships
- Science, Math and Technology Scholarship
- Yemen Blues Performs At MDC Live Arts