Purple Heart Information
Effective Fall term 2006 and pursuant to Florida Statute 1009.26(9), Miami Dade College will waive undergraduate tuition for each recipient of a Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence as listed below. This waiver includes tuition and related fees that are assessed to all students, regardless of the program or credit course in which they are enrolling. Fees that are waived include charges that all students must pay as part of their instructional costs/costs per credit hour which are not linked to specific courses. Fees not included in this waiver are “user” fees. User fees include laboratory fees and other special fees that support specific programs and/or courses.
In order to be awarded the Purple Heart waiver, a student must meet the following requirements:
A. Complete all admission requirements, including application for admission.
B. Is currently, and was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart or other superior combat decoration, a resident of Florida. The burden of proof is on the student to provide one of the following documents evidencing residency in Florida at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the combat decoration:
1. DD-214 form, military separation document
2. DD-2058 form, military state of legal residence certificate
3. Leave and Earning Statement (LES) or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service(DFAS) Form 702, which specifies place of residence
4. Letter or affidavit from the military administrative office verifying residence at the time of combat
5. One or more state or federal documents evidencing legal ties to Florida (e.g., Homestead exemption, driver’s license, vehicle registration, voter id).
C. Submit the DD-214 form issued at the time of separation from service as documentation that the student has received a Purple heart or another combat decoration listed below:
1. Purple Heart
2. Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
3. Distinguished Flying Cross
4. Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
5. Silver Star
6. Air Force Cross
7. Navy Cross
8. Distinguished Service Cross
9. Medal of Honor
D. This waiver for a Purple Heart recipient or recipient of another combat decoration superior in precedence shall be applicable for 110 percent of the number of required credit hours of the degree or certificate program for which the student is enrolled.
E. This waiver is considered “countable aid” for student financial aid purpose. Therefore, the college financial office will be notified if a student qualifies for this waiver.
Students should go to the Admissions & Registration office on their Campus or speak with the VA staff member for further information on how to receive the waiver.