program also meets the standards of the Southern Association of
Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the American Association for
Paralegal Education (AAfPE), the leading national professional
association for paralegal education of which the college is a
member. This approval is very important because it means that the
program has met very high standards of accountability. The A.S.
Degree in Paralegal Studies is a highly respected credential in the
The objective of the Paralegal Studies Program is to prepare students to be competitive for legal and paralegal careers in law offices, government agencies, banks or business corporations. This objective is stated in the Miami Dade College Catalog.
Upon completion of the program, the student should be able to:
- Understand the nature of the paralegal profession, the job opportunities therein and the players and organizations within the legal community
- Effectively relate and communicate orally and in writing to clients, colleagues, the court and third parties
- Handle basic legal transactions (closings, wills, contracts, incorporations)
- Process matters through the basic steps of litigation (tort actions, dissolution of marriage)
- Have a solid understanding of the basic substantive areas of the law, conduct legal research and solve problems within those areas
- Behave professionally and in an ethical manner