Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
STEPS TO ORGANIZE A SUCCESSFUL VITA CENTER
1) Start advertising the Center in January and use various means to do this.
2) Obtain a good location for the Center so that it has visibility.
3) Open the location towards the middle of February.
4) Organize the Center into three sections: Administrative, Tax Return Preparation,
and Quality Review.
5) Assign students to each area and make them responsible for the statistical data at
the end of the day.
6) Try to review the tax returns before they are given to the taxpayers in order to
7) Send the data sheets to IRS on a weekly basis and keep a copy for yourself.
Supervise and help the students when they encounter difficulties.
8) Review every so often the students' interviewing techniques.
9) Do not let the students keep any documents or papers that belong to the taxpayers.
10) Inform the students that all information received from the taxpayers is confidential.
11) Emphasize to the students that they cannot charge for this service.
12) Maintain adequate control of the inventory of forms, supplies, etc.
13) Organize a VITA Ceremony at the end of the term to celebrate THE END OF THE TAX SEASON!!!