Administrative Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Choose the heading of an area to see the FAQ's.

Campus Administrative Services

What documents need the approval of the Senior Director of Campus Administration before processing?

The following forms must have the signature of the Senior Director of Campus Administration before been processed:

  • Agreement for Services
  • Rental of Facilities
  • MDConnect Forms (Access Request, Chart of Accounts, Campus Solutions)
  • Budget Adjustments
  • Grant Applications
  • Keys and/or Access Card Requests

How do I obtain access to the gated parking areas on-Campus?

Security and Parking are critical issues at any campus. Access to secured parking areas is only available for full-time employees per Procedure 1411 – Keys and Access Control


Please be advised that the Kendall Campus has upgraded and installed new gate-card readers, to replace the old "Royce Card System" in secured gated employee parking lots. In order to gain access to these secured parking lots, the new readers have already been pre-programmed for the gate to open when you swipe your employee ID/Access card.


The new readers are located in the following secured employee parking areas:

•  Lot #1 (south side of Bldg. 5000)

•  Lot #6 (west side of Bldg. 8000)

•  Lot #9 (Bldg. R)

•  Lot #10 (east side of Bldg. 2000)

•  Lot #13 (east side of Bldg. 1000)

•  Garage 1st Floor (west entrance)

•  Garage 2nd Floor

•  Garage 3rd Floor

•  Garage 4th Floor

DO NOT SWIPE the old white gate-cards in the new readers .


  • Who has access to secured gated areas on-Campus?
    • ONLY full-time employees and adjunct faculty may have access to the secured parking areas on-Campus.
    • Access is granted automatically--to all gates ; so there's no need to send access requests for gates.


  • Are employees assigned to a specific parking lot?
    • No, employees ARE NOT assigned to specific parking lots ; you may access any of the parking lots listed above.


  • Upon swiping--the reader “beeps,” but the gate-arm does not open; What should I do?
    • Most likely you are using a card with an ISO number (e.g. 6029 2200 XXXX XXXX) that is not active in the database.  This could be a result of any of the following:
    • If your card was recently replaced, the old card is deactivated and therefore is no longer a valid card in the system.
    • You may be using an old employee ID card--that does not have the magnetic strip in the back.  If so, please go to the Student Life Department to replace the card for a new one.
    • You are using a card that has been officially disabled in the system because it has been reported as “lost or stolen.”
    • The gate-arm itself may be defective.


  • My MDC ID/Access Card is damaged, broken, lost or stolen; how do I obtain a replacement?
    • Please be advised that the Student Life Departments are NO LONGER authorized to issue employee IDs or replacements. If your card is damaged or broken, please submit the Access Card/Key Request Online Form in order to request a replacement.
    • If your card was lost or stolen, YOU MUST report it to Public Safety immediately , in order to deactivate it in the system.  Lost or stolen cards WILL NOT be replaced without a Public Safety report .
    • Replacement of a lost card requires a $25 replacement fee ; please refer to Procedure 1411 – Keys and Access Control


  • My MDC ID/Access Card has been replaced, but I still have the old one; which card is the correct one to use to access the gate?
    • If your card was recently replaced, the old card is deactivated and therefore is no longer a valid ID in the system. 
    • Do not waste College resources trying to obtain another card for convenience (e.g. to keep one in your vehicle and one in your wallet); only the most recently issued card will be active in the system.


  • What will happen with the old gate-cards?
    • Old Royce cards (white) are still property of the College and therefore should be returned to Public Safety accordingly.


  • Who do I contact if I have problems accessing the gates?
    • Access to the gates on-campus is managed by District Office of Emergency Preparedness. If you are having any trouble with the new card readers, please contact Norberto Bofill via e-mail at , at your earliest convenience.

Agreements for Services - Important Information

Agreements for services are a legally binding contract between the College and an individual/company; it is for this reason that we must ensure that they are properly completed and processed, before any services begin. 


All agreement for services must include, at a minimum, the following information in order to move forward to the next level of review, and ultimately to the Campus President, Vice Provost, or Provost as required for final approval.  Please make sure of the following before the agreement is sent forward:

  • Make sure that you are using the latest version of the Agreement for Services.
  • If any of the services require the individual or company to have access to the College's computer systems, internet, intranet, website or social media accounts, you must request a recently revised agreement for services from the Office of Legal Affairs (sample attached).
  • All sections of the agreement MUST BE TYPED and completed accordingly; no handwritten agreements will be accepted.
  • No changes will be permitted of any of the terms and conditions contained in the agreement for services.
  • Both pages of the agreement must be included.
  • All Sections must be filled in.  If a section is not applicable, type “N/A” in the section. 
  • The complete MDConnect Chartstring is REQUIRED .
  • The agreement must be signed and dated by the Contractor and the Originator, respectively. The College's final approver will sign last.
  • Addendum Page (if included) must be signed by the contractor (the originator may initial/date on the margin) and referenced on the first page of the agreement for services; the required signature is the Campus President/Vice Provost/Senior Vice Provost.
  • Services should not begin until the Agreement is signed by the authorized person. In the event of emergencies where services must begin before the agreement can be signed and which have prior email approval from the Campus President or Provost, the agreement MUST INCLUDE a justification as to why the agreement was submitted late together with the email confirming prior approval.
  • Memo from the originator explaining the individual/company's qualification to perform the scope of services.
  • Supporting documentation and description detailing the scope of services for the agreement. For individuals, please include a resume. Specify any minimum expectations or time standards which may apply to the service provided.
  • W9 Form (for NEW suppliers/individuals only)
  • Check for spelling and correctness: Names MUST be complete and correctly spelled.  Also, when you are using titles (Dr., Ph.D, Ed.D, etc.) you must include them with everyone, as applicable.


For clarification, here is the current College signature approval workflow with names and titles accordingly (to be used in the “For Miami Dade College Use Only” section):




Name of the Originator / Name of Chairperson

Enter Current Job Title as applicable / Chairperson

(Dean's name as applicable/Sr. Director)

Dean of (as applicable) / Sr Director of Campus Administration

Dr. (Campus President's name) $25,000 or less

Campus President / Vice Provost / Senior Vice Provost

Dr. Lenore Rodicio ( only for >$25,000.00 )

Executive Vice President & Provost



This process should be completed, at least two (2) weeks prior to the agreement becoming effective and services beginning. 


Also, per Purchasing Department instructions:

  • DO NOT CREATE/SUBMIT a requisition for an agreement, until you have received the agreement back, with all signatures.
  • The requisition for an Agreement for Services MUST be submitted as “Amount Only.”
  • Upon creating the requisition, you MUST attach a copy of the agreement with all signatures to the requisition; otherwise the requisition will be rejected.
  • DO NOT attach invoices to the requisition.


Remember that per College Policy VI-30 / Procedure 6300 – we cannot engage in an agreement for services with any current part-time or full-time employee and/or family members of an employee under any circumstances.


While we understand that we are working in a very fast-pace environment, this should never be an excuse not to put our best efforts in maintaining a professional image, especially when it comes to legally binding documents. Please be advised that any agreement for services that does not comply with these requirements will be returned to the originator immediately.   Any person approving an agreement for services who is not authorized may be personally liable to the individual or company.  



Campus Facilities Planning

I want furniture. How do I fill out a furniture work order?

Please click here to access the form. Please contact the Campus Facilities Planner at 305-237-2421 if you need assistance.


I have work or repairs that need attention. Do I submit a Plant Maintenance Work Request or a Quick Job?

The definitions are as follows:

Quick Jobs are most commonly defined as construction/renovation or repair projects that cost less than $15,000 and with less than six weeks of actual construction. They do not require state or other approval and are done at the discretion of the Provost in accordance with the priorities of District operational requirements.

The Plant Maintenance Work Request should be used to report problems such as air conditioning, lights/light fixtures, requests for keys, painting, hanging pictures, doors/locks repair, or ceiling tile repairs.

Custodial Services/Help Desk

When do I call for a Trouble Report?

Please call the Trouble Report Hotline at 305-237-2248 for unexpected trouble: slip hazards, spills, broken glass, A/C problems, water leaks, etc.


When do I need to submit a work request?

Work requests should be submitted to Campus Services for special events or for specific requests that require custodial (floor care, cleaning), moving and set-up (moving of furniture, boxes, tables and chairs), maintenance (air conditioning, lights, broken fixtures), and/or Public Safety services (open/close rooms, vans). All requests must have an authorized signature by a department head, and are processed based on the deadline date submitted in the request; it is to your advantage to submit them in advance to avoid scheduling conflicts.

Events and Rentals

Effective March 2020


Kendall Campus Facilities Are Not Available For Rental Until Further Notice Due To COVID-19 Pandemic

What facilities are available/open for public use?

The track, tennis courts, outdoor basketball courts, and the Aquatic Center (specific lanes) are open to the public according to the published schedule at the facility. Their use is by reservation only through the Events and Rentals Department.

Please be advised that public use of our facilities may be affected by classes and/or college activities that have priority in the usage of these facilities.

To confirm availability, please call the Events and Rentals Department at 305-237-2107 or 305-237-2383.


What hours are the Tennis Courts and Track open?

Tennis Courts - Are open to the public on a first-come first-served basis Monday through Friday (8:00 AM until 9:30 PM) during the Fall / Spring / and Summer Term; Saturday and Sunday closed. Please be advised that classes from the School of Continuing Education have priority in the usage of this facility.

Track – Is open to the public Monday through Friday (7:00 AM - 9:30 PM); Saturdays (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM). The track is closed on Sundays. See Track Rules here.

To confirm hours, please call the Events and Rentals Department at 305-237-2107 or 305-237-2383.


What is the availability of rooms in the Dante Fascell Conference Center, and McCarthy Theater (Room 6120)?

Call the Events and Rentals Department at 305-237-2107 or 305-237-2383 and someone will assist you.


What is the availability of the Gym, Baseball, Softball, or Soccer fields, and the Aquatic Center?

Call the Events and Rentals Department at 305-237-2107 or 305-237-2383 and someone will assist you. Please be advised that classes and/or college activities have priority in the usage of these facilities.


Can a facility be rented for a wedding reception, birthday party, or other special event?

No. Facilities can only be used by official organizations, not for private use.


What are the capacities of the facilities; i.e., 6120, Conference Center Rooms, Gymnasium?

Please click on this link for the Facilities Home Page


Who do I contact to reserve Fred Shaw Plaza, the Talking Place, and the Cafeteria?

Please contact the Events and Rentals Department at 305-237-2107 or 305-237-2383.


Is there catering service available? How is it requested for an event?

All catering at Kendall Campus is handled by Canteen and they must be contacted by the group using the facility to make arrangements for food service for any event scheduled on the campus. If Canteen is unable to provide this service, the organization must receive approval from Canteen to bring food, from another provider. For more information please contact them directly at 305-237-2119.

Instructor Workload - MDConnect Campus Solutions

What is a Request for Personnel Action (RPA)?

An RPA is the official document, submitted to Human Resources, to officially hire a new employee into a specific job.


What is an “Empl Rcd” in MDConnect?

The "Empl Rcd" is the result of a processed RPA for a specific job or purpose. This is how the system ensures that the person is authorized to work and gets paid at the correct rate for that specific job assignment.

Selecting the wrong Empl Rcd for an assignment, may result in one of the following:

  • No pay
  • Payments processed at the wrong pay rate (overpayment/underpayment)


Can we allow a prospective instructor, whose RPA has not been processed yet, to teach the course while the hiring process is completed?

No. This is against College policy and procedure. All employees must be officially hired before they begin to work. Please contact your HR - Employee Services Liaison and Faculty Initiatives for advise in case of emergency.


Why can't we hire a Support Non-exempt Employee (SNE)—who has the proper credentials—to teach a course?

Instructional assignments are considered “exempt” jobs; therefore Support "Non-exempt" employees cannot be hired as instructors because of the different job classifications (refer to Procedure 2832 - Sec. IV - 2, b). The only exception to this rule are those employees classified as "Intervention Specialist" which are required to teach SLS courses as part of their job duties.


What are faculty credentials?

In keeping with the accreditation standards set forth by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the College must ensure that all faculty teaching credit classes have the academic preparation and experience necessary to deliver high-quality education.

At a minimum, faculty teaching credit courses must:

  • Meet the credentialing criteria for their discipline, as outlined in the College's accreditation charts.
  • Have completed their degrees and coursework at regionally accredited institutions.
Faculty with degrees from foreign institutions must submit an official evaluation by a certified National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) agency.


We need to assign a course, but the instructor does not show up in the list of available instructors, in the course assignment screen?

This may be happening because the “Instructor/Advisor Table” information is not up-to-date, for that specific instructor.

  • Access the "Instructor/Advisor Table" in Campus Solutions.
  • Check to see if the “Academic Org” has been properly added to the table.
  • Check to see if the “Effective Date” is set to, at least one (1) day before the term begins.
  • If changes are needed, click on the "Correct History" button.
  • Remember to click "SAVE" after making any corrections/updates.


Can we assign multiple courses, at once, to the same faculty member in MDConnect Instructor Workload?

Unfortunately, the Instructor Workload module does not allow for this to happen. Course assignments MUST be done individually in the class assignment screen for the specific course.


Did point limitation rules changed upon switching from ASTRA to MDConnect Instructor Workload?

No, the point limitation rules remain in place. You will find the information about point limitations in the following link: Annual Point Limitations


When should we generate the “Variance Report” to monitor point limitation activity in my department?

The Instructor Workload module does not have programmed hard-stops preventing assignments from exceeding the point limitation rules. Therefore, it's recommended that you run this report at least once a week, especially when processing new assignments that affect the current term.


What is the difference between the following: Stacked Courses or Combined Courses?

Stacked – These are courses in which students meet for a class, at the same time with the same instructor, but at different levels of instruction.

Combined – These are courses with lecture and lab instruction meeting on different patterns.


Can we assign points to non-credit (CE) courses in MDConnect Instructor Workload?

No. While course assignments, regardless of their nature (credit, non-credit, PSAV) will always be assigned to the instructor in Instructor Workload, non-credit courses are not assigned points in Instructor Workload because they are paid on an hourly basis thru Time and Labor in MDConnect.


How many paychecks does an adjunct faculty member receive, per term?

The number of paychecks is based on the beginning and end dates of the course.

  • Typically, major terms (Fall / Spring) are divided into nine (9) paychecks per term.
  • The summer term is divided into three (3) paychecks for 6-week courses, or six (6) paychecks for 12-week courses.
  • Mini-Term and A/B terms are also divided according to the beginning and end dates accordingly.


If a full-time faculty member total workload is 58 points or less, how does he/she balance it out to fulfill their 60 point contractual workload obligation?

  • If “Banked Points” ARE available, the faculty member MUST USE some of these, to offset the inload requirement.
  • If banked points ARE NOT available, as long as the instructor is at 58 points, he/she will be considered as full inload.
  • When a FT faculty member's workload is less than 58 points, the Chairperson needs to contact the Dean of Faculty immediately in order to determine a course of action in regards to the full-time faculty member's workload for the affected semester.


What is an overload?

An overload is any instructional related assignment which increases the contractually required workload above 62 points. This could be the result of adding additional courses or increasing the workload of a course(s) due to a higher number of students registered in the course(s).


When is a full-time faculty total workload officially considered to be in short load or overload?
  • <58 points = Short Load
  • 60 points = Inload
  • >62 points = Overload

In order for an overload to be viable, the instructor workload must equal 63 points or higher; this is because of the (+/- 2) rule.


Why should departments wait, until after the 100% refund deadline, to designate overloads for a new term?

The main reason is to prevent overpayments.

  • If there's not enough enrollment in a course, there's a high probability that it will end up being cancelled.
  • Is better to wait until they make sure that the course is viable, to prevent overpayments.
  • Some courses that are taught in a large setting, such as auditorium style, are also subject to changing their default workload, based on the number of paid students registered; this cannot be done until after the 100% refund deadline.


How are overload points designated for pay or banking?

While the College selects the courses that will be available for selection as overloads, the decision to designate those overload points--for payment or banking--is the sole responsibility of the faculty member.

  • They must sign and submit the overload designation form. The overload designation form can be found here: Instructor Workload Data Entry Form
  • Overload assignments not designated for payment or bank, at the start of the semester, shall be considered assignments to be banked for leave in lieu of payment.


Can full-time faculty get overload while receiving release time?

Yes, they can.


Are adjunct faculty members qualified to teach overloads?

No, adjunct faculty DO NOT qualify for overloads because of their part-time status.


How do I submit absences for adjunct faculty and full-time faculty overloads?


  • Absences and Substitutions, MUST be entered in the "Absence and Substitution Page" in Instructor Workload.
  • The data-entry will be done in the "official instructor" record, and the system will automatically make the calculations to ensure the proper absence and substitute pay.
  • Until further notice, overload absences due to temporary duty and/or Jury Duty, will be submitted to the Instructor Workload Coordinator, for processing in Instructor Workload.
  • Absences and substitutions MUST be processed before the end of the term in question.


When a full-time faculty member is out, during an overload, can I deduct hours to reflect the absence?

Yes, full-time faculty members may be deducted hours for an overload ONLY when they are absent due to illness (SICK) or personal reasons. This is also applicable to points that have been selected for banking.


Can I deduct hours from overload when the faculty member is out attending College related meetings, workshops, or Jury Duty?

No. The only time we can deduct hours for overload is when the faculty member is out sick, or for personal reasons.


When a full-time faculty member is out, and submits an absence request, does it cover the overload hours?

No. Since full-time faculty schedules do not necessarily conform to the typical 7.0 hrs/per day schedule, their absence requests MUST always be submitted as “partial days.” The total of hours submitted in the request MUST ONLY REFLECT INLOAD hours (including office and campus hours). Overload hours CANNOT be deducted using an absence request.


Can “Task Points” be designated as overload?

  • Regular/Administrative task points - No
  • Release task points may be designated as overload, ONLY if there are no courses available to be designated.
  • Release task points that are paid from a grant, CANNOT be designated as overload.


Can full-time faculty switch their overload designation in the middle of the term?

Yes, they can. The switch will only apply to the remaining points after the switch has been made. Notice that…

  • From Bank to Pay - Points that have already been placed in the bank, CANNOT be changed to pay.
  • From Pay to Bank – If the faculty member wants to bank points that were already paid out, he/she must contact the Payroll department to receive instructions and the total amount that needs to be returned to the College.
The switch must be requested in writing, along with the signed Instructor Workload Data Entry Form.

Note that switching overload designations, back and forth, should NEVER become the practice.


Can full-time faculty change their overload selection, in the middle of the term?

No. Full-time faculty selected their overloads, during the class selection process, and once their courses have been selected they cannot change them unless there are extenuating circumstances.


What are “Banked Points,” and how are they used?

Banked Points are overload points that are placed on hold for use at a later time in lieu of payment. Therefore, these points are not “paid out” during the term they are earned.

The use of banked points MUST be discussed and pre-approved between the faculty member, Chairperson, and the Dean of Faculty. Banked points are used for the following:

  • Load Offset – this happens when the full-time faculty member chooses not to teach a full inload during the term.
  • Banked Point Leave – this happens when the full-time faculty member chooses to take the whole term off--for personal or medical reasons. Some faculty members also use banked points when they are ready to officially retire from the College.
Upon officially retiring from the College, full-time faculty members receive payment for whatever balance is left in their bank points.


Where can full-time faculty see their current bank point balance? (This feature is currently unavailable)

Full-time faculty will be able to see this information in their respective “Faculty Self Service” tab in MDConnect.

  • Log onto MDConnect
  • Select: Main Menu, Self Service, Faculty Center, My Schedule
The Bank Point Balance information will be found in the “Term Workload Tab.”


What is a “ghost record” in MDConnect Instructor Workload?

MDConnect is an extremely detailed system, so basically everything that you do in the system creates a record. Ghost records occur when the instructor--that was originally assigned to the course--is NOT deleted from the course, but basically overwritten by entering the new instructor's information on top of the original instructor.


What is the proper way to remove an instructor that was never intended to be assigned to a class?

The key to this specific scenario is that the current instructor was never intended to be assigned to that class. When removing an instructor from a class, you MUST DELETE the instructor, then save that deletion. NEVER override the current instructor by just adding the new instructor's information in place of the original one; this WILL create a ghost record.


An instructor is no longer able to continue teaching a course, and now I have to assign the course to a new instructor. What do I have to do?

The course will be treated as a “team taught” course.

  • DO NOT remove/delete the original instructor from the class.
  • Calculate the correct workload that belongs to the original instructor, based on the actual days/hours the instructor met with the class.
  • Reduce the original workload assigned to the instructor, to reflect the correct amount, and finally set the access to “blank.”
  • Click “SAVE” to make sure the changes are processed.
  • Add the new instructor to the class and assign the remaining workload points. Make sure to set the access to “approve.”
  • Click “SAVE” to make sure the addition is processed.
If the class is taken over by a full-time faculty member, you MUST also check if this entry will increase the overload and proceed with the proper designation accordingly.

Remember that point limitation rules are applicable in all instances.


An instructor is going to be out sick, can he/she cancel the class for that day?

No. Only the College administration has the authority to cancel classes.

If the absence is scheduled in advance, it is the instructor's responsibility to make sure that a substitute instructor is scheduled to take over the class during his/her absence(s).

If the instructor calls-in sick, then the Department Chairperson should make a decision on the matter.


What is a substitution?

A substitution occurs when the instructor of record is not available to teach, on a specific date, and another instructor “steps-in” to make sure the students receive the instruction of the day.


Can anyone serve as a substitute?

By all means substitutions are classes. Therefore, the person performing the substitution MUST be properly credentialed and qualified to teach the specific course.


Do we need to process an RPA for substitute pay?

No. RPAs are not needed for substitute pay because the system is programmed to recognize the different pay rates based on the employee classification.

The only time you will need an RPA is when hiring a person exclusively to perform as a substitute instructor, and the employee WILL NOT have any additional positions in the College.


What is the current pay rate for substitutions?

There's a fixed rate of $16.33 per hour, except for full-time faculty. Per UFMDC and MDC agreement, full time faculty are paid at a fixed rate of $25.00 per hour.


How do we properly process a substitution in MDConnect?
  • Absences and Substitutions, MUST be entered in the "Absence and Substitution Page" in Instructor Workload.
  • The data-entry will be done in the "official instructor" record, and the system will automatically make the calculations to ensure the proper absence and substitute pay.
  • Until further notice, overload absences for temporary duty and/or Jury Duty, will be submitted to the Instructor Workload Coordinator, for processing.
  • Absences and substitutions MUST be processed before the end of the term in question.

Each substitution date, MUST be entered as a separate entry, regardless of repeating class number.


Is there a limit on how many times a substitution can happen?

You must have the following in consideration:

  • If a substitution is going to last more than two (2) consecutive weeks, then the instructor should be assigned the equivalent number of points for the period he/she is covering.
  • When substitutions are performed by adjunct faculty, the 25-hour limitation rule still applies.
  • Full-time faculty may only be requested to substitute for a maximum of six (6) hours, per semester, per the UFMDC and MDC Agreement.


I have made changes to an instructor's term workload, but I do not see them reflected in the point/hour distribution screen. What happened?

Currently, the system is scheduled to run the update process twice a day.


Can Support Non-Exempt employees (SNE) be used as substitutes?

No. Support Non-Exempt employees (SNE) CANNOT be used as substitute instructors, because of the "non-exempt" job classification.


Quick Copy Center

What time do you close?

The Quick Copy Center is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM.


Is the Duplicating Center open on Saturday?

No, hours are Monday through Friday from from 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM.


Can I have my job done today?

Please refer to this document that outlines policy


Can you print on colored paper?

Yes. Due to cost constraints, white paper is routinely used, but goldenrod, yellow, green, blue, and pink paper can be provided. Customers can provide their own stock in other colors if requested.


Do you have color copy capabilities?

Yes, but there is a charge per copy. Please contact the Quick Copy Center at 305-237-2314 for more information.


What is the minimum number of copies that can be run?

25 copies is the minimum number of copies per original.

Miami Dade College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution which does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, marital status, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, ethnicity, pregnancy, sexual orientation or genetic information. Additional information may be obtained by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs/ADA Coordinator/Title IX Coordinator, at 305.237.2577.