MDC Announces the 2008 Endowed Teaching Chairs
Miami, July 2, 2008 -
Following a rigorous selection process, Miami Dade College (MDC) will honor eight distinguished faculty members who have demonstrated a true dedication to the craft of teaching. This year’s recipients of the 2008 Endowed Teaching Chairs have gone above and beyond the call of duty to advance higher education. They represent five campuses and seven academic disciplines. They will be honored at a reception dinner Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2008, at MDC’s Wolfson Campus.
“These are very special awards,” said MDC President Eduardo J. Padrón. “They honor MDC’s most outstanding faculty, the very best in higher education.”
The honorees were selected by a committee of their peers who looked at evidence of student retention and success, effective teaching strategies, professional growth, and making student learning a top priority. They join 266 endowed chair recipients since the program’s inception in 1992.
The 2008 Endowed Teaching Chairs are:
- Luis Beltran - The Adorno & Yoss Employee Charitable Foundation Endowed Teaching Chair
- Sandra Schultz - The Anastasios and Maria Kyriakides Endowed Teaching Chair
- Alberto Meza - The Bonnie McCabe Endowed Teaching Chair in Humanities
- Cynthia Schuemann - The Citibank Endowed Teaching Chair
- Irene Lipof - The Daniel Gill Endowed Teaching Chair
- Maria Mari - The Louis Wolfson III Endowed Teaching Chair
- Alvio Dominguez - The Miami Dade College Endowed Teaching Chair in Engineering, Mathematics, and Sciences
- Ken Lee - The Robert Russell Memorial Foundation Endowed Teaching Chair
For more information on the Endowed Teaching Chair Program, please contact Elizabeth Mitrani Rapps, MDC Foundation, at 305-237-3798, or e-mail email@example.com.
Juan Mendieta, 305-237-7611, firstname.lastname@example.org, MDC communications director
Sue Arrowsmith, 305-237-3710, email@example.com, media specialist