A School for Advanced Studies application becomes available each fall for all public, charter, private, and homeschooled students who are currently in the tenth grade. SAS is not a magnet school. Student selection is based on completion of basic requirements for admission and a random ranking of qualified applicants up to the point where the enrollment cap is reached. When the number of eligible applicants exceeds the number of seats available, a random selection process will be utilized to admit eligible applicants. Annual enrollment is limited.
- Minimum 3.0 unweighted GPA
- Record of good attendance
- Record of good citizenship
- Testing scores on three sections of the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) that result in course placement for ENC 1101 and MAC 1105
- Reading = 106-150 (placement for ENC 1101)
- Writing = 103-150 (placement for ENC 1101)
- Mathematics = 123-150 (placement for MAC 1105)
The Florida Department of Education has instituted higher minimum PERT scores in Reading (106) and Writing (103). The SAS PERT minimum Math score will remain at 123. These higher PERT scores for Reading and Writing became effective on October 18, 2013 and are utilized for anyone testing on that date or thereafter. Please note that minimum test scores are established by the Florida Department of Education and are subject to change without advanced notice. Therefore, students must meet minimum PERT scores that are in effect at MDC on the date that the student tests.