Jump Start on College:
Each semester, students are enrolled in a minimum of three (3) college dual-enrollment courses, taught by MDC faculty, and four (4) high school courses, taught by SAS faculty. After two years at SAS, students will earn a minimum of 36 college credits. Many students graduate with both an Associate in Arts degree and a high school diploma as a result of success on the AP exams, CLEP exams, and summer school at MDC.
One hundred percent (100%) of our students graduate and continue their academic studies at colleges and universities in Florida, throughout the nation, or at foreign universities. (Some have been accepted at such prestigious universities as Cornell, NYU, Yale, University of Chicago, Harvard, Emory, Georgetown, Stanford, University of Edinburgh, and all the universities in the state of Florida.)
The school population reflects the religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the community. The school prides itself on its family-like environment, small school setting, and its focus on the humanities and a traditional education. The small high school environment affords the opportunity for individual student tutoring, counseling, and mentoring by faculty and staff. Students and faculty are supported by parental and community involvement. The environment provides a unique transition between secondary and post-secondary education.
Students admitted to SAS receive free tuition and fees, free textbooks and materials, and, if eligible, school bus and metro-rail transportation funded by MDCPS.
MDCPS Superintendent Alberto Carvalho's Letter on Dual Enrollment:
Letters on Dual Enrollment in English, Spanish, and Haitian/Creole
Notable Accomplishments of the SAS Class of 2015!
- 282 graduates (98% of the Class of 2015) earned an Associate of Arts degree from Miami Dade College
- 3 POSSE Award Recipients
- 2 Gates Millennium Scholars
- 5 QuestBridge Scholars
- 2 Ford Salute to Education Scholarship Winners
- 8 Burger King Scholars
- 2 National Advanced Placement Scholars
- 45 Advanced Placement Scholars with Distinction
- 34 Advanced Placement Scholars with Honors
- 84 Advanced Placement Scholars.
- 2 National Merit Scholar Finalists
- 1 National Achievement Scholar Finalists
- 11 National Hispanic Scholar Finalists
- 1 Silver Knight Winner and 3 Honorable Mentions.
- 59% of the Graduating Class Admitted to Top 50 national college or university in the United States, including 7 of the 8 Ivy League Universities and 43 of the top 50 national colleges and universities in the U.S.
- Class of 2015 has been awarded $26.4 million dollars in scholarships.
- ACT and SAT composite scores above the national average and highest of any other high school in Miami Dade County, including charters.