Testing Dishonesty and Behavioral Guidelines
The following guidelines must be adhered to before, during, or after taking a test administered by the Testing Department at Miami Dade College (MDC). These guidelines also apply to MDC students taking tests at other institutions. Test takers must refrain from:
- Communicating with others, other than testing personnel, while taking a test, including giving or receiving assistance from other examinees.
- Removing or attempting to remove a test book, a test question, or a portion of a test in any way or format from the testing room.
- Circulating, reproducing, or otherwise obtaining advance access to test materials prior to, during, and after taking a test.
- Submitting another person's work as your own, such as taking or attempting to take a test for another person.
- Falsifying information, forging signatures, and/or presenting false identification, or falsifying information on any of the following: official document, grade report, authorization letter, transcript, test scores or any other type of document.
- Bringing firearms or weapons of any kind inside the Testing Department as per College and State policy.
- Using or possessing books, notes/papers of any kind, calculators, watches, mechanical pencils, earplugs, hats, headsets, rulers, listening devices (including Bluetooth), paging devices (beepers), cellular phones, tablets, recording or photographic devices, and other aids, unless previously authorized.
- Creating a disturbance or engaging in any disruptive behavior.
- Attempting to bribe a member of the test center staff to obtain a copy of a test or test-related information.
- Attempting to tamper with a computer or any equipment in the Testing Department.
- Opening an unauthorized browser during a test administration.
- Refusing to adhere to instructions given by a Testing staff member.
- Failing to follow directions issued by a staff member of the Testing Center, including reading or working on a test during a time not authorized.
Individuals who exhibit any of the above mentioned behaviors will be subject to appropriate action as specified in the College’s Code of Conduct of MDC’s Students’ Rights and Responsibilities handbook. Incidents will be reported to the appropriate Dean at the College for review and to the department or agency that is associated with the testing program.
Please be advised, computer screens are monitored and testing sessions are video recorded via surveillance cameras. Other detection devices may also be used.
Prohibited Items in Testing
The following items are prohibited while taking a test administered by the Testing Department at Miami Dade College (MDC) and by MDC students taking tests at other institutions. In addition to the following items, the College reserves the right to exclude other items as appropriate.
- Books, dictionaries, and notes/papers of any kind, unless previously authorized
- Language translators and spell checkers
- Calculators, unless previously authorized
- Watches and timers of any kind
- Mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers and erasers with sleeves
- Highlighters, ink pens, felt-tip markers, colored pens or pencils, and correction fluid/tape
- Earplugs, ear muffs, and headphones of any kind
- Hats and other head coverings, except those for religious purposes
- Sunglasses and any reading/sunglass cases and sleeves
- Listening devices (including Bluetooth)
- Cellular phones and paging devices (beepers)
- Electronic tablets and personal computers
- Recording or photographic devices and other aids
- Any electronic device listed above or not, should be notified to the proctor and subject to inspection and approval
- Tobacco or tobacco products (in any form), alcoholic beverages, illicit drugs, and any other substance, including e-cigarette devices and paraphernalia of any kind
- Firearms and weapons of any kind, as per College and State policy
- All beverages (including water bottles)
- Briefcases, purses, handbags, backpacks, and bags of any kind
- The use of any medical device, such as an asthma inhaler or insulin pump, within the examination room will be inspected by the testing center staff prior to entering the testing room.
- Any item not allowed in the testing room must be stored inside a locker, or kept in a designated area until the end of the testing session. Weapons cannot be stored inside a testing locker.
- The Testing Department is not responsible for items left in a testing locker.
Academic Leadership Council - July 16, 2015
Student Deans Council - July 9, 2015
CASSC Research & Testing - April 6, 2015