With the exception of students who meet the criteria for an exemption from common placement testing and developmental education instruction, the State Board of Education (SBOE) requires entry-level testing for degree seeking students and students who have not met college level competency either through the completion of developmental education requirements in the Florida College System or have not been awarded credit for college level coursework in the area of deficiency. Students whose native language is not English may be required to take another test to measure their English proficiency before entry-level testing is permitted. The SBOE also requires institutions offering Postsecondary Career and Technical Education and Adult Education programs to test students pursuing these programs. Miami Dade College (MDC) may accept official test scores from approved academic institutions and approved regional workforce boards. Parameters for accepting these scores will be established between coordinating agencies.
The Placement Criteria Manual is divided into five sections and eight appendices:
- Placement Criteria for Degree Programs and College Credit Certificate Programs.
- Criteria for Degree and College Credit Certificate Seeking-Students with Limited English Proficiency.
- Procedures for Testing and Placement Criteria for Postsecondary Career and Technical Education Programs.
- Procedures for Testing and Placement Criteria for Adult General Education Programs.
- Procedures for Testing and Placement Criteria for Dual Enrollment Students.
Appendix A - H
- Laws, Rules and Technical Assistance Papers
- Florida Standard High School Diploma Codes Eligible for Developmental Education Exemption
- Alternative Placement Criteria for Recent, Non-Exempt High School Graduates
Alternative Placement Options for Students with Military Experience
Alternative Placement Options for Students with Significant Work History
- General Placement Recommendations for Advisement
General Placement Recommendations for Developmental Education Advisement
Mathematics Pathways Advising
- Meta-Major Academic Pathways and gateway courses that are aligned with the intended academic and career goals of degree seeking students
- Quick Guide for EAP and Course Placement
EAP Student Scenario Guide
- Adult Education CASAS Post-Testing Chart
- TABE Out of Range Score (Low) Reported and Re-Testing Guide
TABE 11/12 Procedures for Initial Placement of Adult General Education Students
TABE 11/12 Procedures for Post‐testing and Determination of Learning Gains of Adult General Education Students
Placement Criteria Manuals and Documents
2023-2024 - Placement Criteria Manual 2023-2024 - Draft
2022-2023 - Placement Criteria Manual 2022-2023 - Most Recent Version
Overview of the Placement Criteria Review Process - Revised 1/28/2009
To view Placement Criteria Manuals and Documents from previous years, please visit our Placement Criterial Archives.