Modern States Education Alliance™ is a non-profit dedicated to making a high quality college education free of cost and accessible to any person who seeks one. Its founding principle is that access to affordable education is fundamental to any philosophy that respects all individuals, and fundamental to the American dream.
The following document is an optional printable flyer based on the content on the page.
Please download the Modern States Flyer to access instruction links, or explore the tabs below for the content.
- Prepare for your American Government exam with Modern States.
- Study and complete your FREE course to receive a FREE voucher!
- Create your College Board account to signup for your exam.
- Add the American Government exam to cart, enter voucher and print ticket.
- Make an Appointment to take your exam.
- A $35.00 proctoring fee will be charged and it will be reimbursed by Modern States IF you pass.
Modern States’ initial program, Freshman Year for Free™, is intended to let students earn up to one year of college credit without tuition or textbook expense.
Modern States is partnering with edX, the leading online learning platform founded by Harvard and MIT. Modern States has given edX the money to complete the development of more than 30 high quality freshman college courses, taught by some of the world’s leading universities and professors. Each course includes online lectures, quizzes, tests, and other features. Textbooks and materials will also be provided online, free of charge.
The courses are designed to prepare students for the major “Advanced Placement” (AP)* or “College Level Examination Program” (CLEP)* tests offered by the College Board, including subjects such as History, Computer Science, Math, English and Economics.
In short, Modern States works like a global digital public library of great college courses. Enrollment in Modern States courses will be “massively open” to all people without regard to age, location, family income, nationality, prior credits or other factors.
Business and Management
- Information Systems
- Financial Accounting
- Principles of Management
- Introductory Business Law
- Principles of Marketing
Composition and Literature
- American Literature
- English Literature
- College Composition
- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
History and Social Sciences
- Introductory Sociology
- Introduction to Educational Psychology
- Human Growth and Development
- History of the United States II
- American Government
- Social Sciences and History
- Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
- Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present
- History of the United States I
- Introductory Psychology
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
Science and Mathematics
- Natural Sciences
- College Mathematics
- College Algebra
- German Language
- French Language
- Spanish Language
Who is making this possible?
- Modern States, the New York-based charitable organization behind the effort, has funded production of online courses taught by college professors. The courses prepare students for introductory College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams in Economics, Sociology, Algebra, and other areas.
How does this lead to College credit?
- The CLEP exams, administered by the College Board, are accepted for credit by more than 2,900 colleges and universities. Modern States is partnering with high schools and colleges that are making students aware of the opportunity.
- This is the first time there have been courses (see list below) taught by top quality college professors for CLEP subjects. AAlso, Modern States is paying the CLEP exam fee and scheduling fee for students who enroll in the courses and take the exams. The benefit for participating institutions is that this creates a free on-ramp to college that facilitates learning and earning credits.
What else do I need to know?
- Modern States will pay for you to take the CLEP exam. After you complete the coursework and practice questions, request a CLEP voucher code from the Modern States website. There are no prerequisites for the 32 courses that are available, and all of them are self-paced. Some of the courses stem from a partnership between Modern States and edX, the online education platform created by Harvard and MIT.
How does it work?
- Modern States Education Alliance™ offers free, high-quality online courses taught by college professors that prepare you for virtually all of the major AP and CLEP exams, which are well-established and widely-accepted. Solid performance on the exams (each participating college decides what scores you need for credit) can earn you college credits and enable you to save tuition dollars. You can take one course or many; if you do well on eight exams, you can potentially earn Freshman Year for Free™.