Temporary Instructor (Substitute Teacher) Training
Federal legislation in the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act requires that districts hire only “highly qualified” substitute teachers. In collaboration with Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS), the SOE developed a one credit course (EDG 2311) that complies with F. S. 1012.35.
The course addresses the following:
- Knowledge of district policies and procedures addressing school safety and security protocols
- Educational liability laws
- Ethics and professional responsibilities
- Lesson facilitation
1012.35 Substitute teachers
(1) Each district school board shall adopt rules prescribing the compensation of, and the procedure for employment of, substitute teachers.
(a) The procedure for employment must include, but is not limited to, the filing of a complete set of fingerprints as required in s.1012.32; documentation of a minimum education level of a high school diploma or equivalent, and completion of an initial orientation and training program in district policies and procedures addressing school safety and security procedures, educational liability laws, professional responsibilities and ethics.
(b) Candidates who have no prior teaching experience, as determined by the employing school district, must complete an additional training program that includes classroom management skills and instructional strategies.
Current requirements for employment as an M-DCPS Substitute Teacher:
- Earned 30 college credits or more with a 2.5 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Three references
- Fingerprinting and background clearance conducted by M-DCPS
- Pass a drug testing through M-DCPS
- Earn a grade of “C” or higher in EDG2311 or an exemption
M-DCPS Temporary Instructor employment application requirements include:
- A signed and dated application for Employment (FM3164)
- The Restricted Personal Data form
- Two reference evaluation forms and telephone numbers for reference from current employer/supervisor
- Official transcripts evidencing 30 or more credits from an accredited college or university
- Completed Form DHS I-9
- An essay/comprehensive writing sample
- Completed drug test analysis
MDC SOE offers the following courses, while these courses are useful for aspiring substitute teachers, they can also be used to satisfy A.A. degree requirements. Substitute training courses include:
- EDG2311 Substitute Training - Required for Employment with M-DCPS
- EDG2301 General Teaching Skills for Temporary Instructors - Strongly Suggested
- EDG2413 Effective Classroom Management for Temporary Instructors - Strongly Suggested
- EEX2010 Teaching Exceptional Children for Temporary Instructors - Strongly Suggested