Free Resources and Digital Materials
Microsoft Office 365 - Free for MDC Students
MDC provides Microsoft Office 365 cloud-based services as well as Office 2016 applications for desktop installation to all students, staff, and faculty.
Benefits and features:
- Office Online: Create and edit Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Excel documents from a browser.
- OneDrive cloud storage (1TB): Save documents, photos, and videos online and access them from nearly anywhere.
- Fully installed Office applications: Install Office applications on up to 5 of your personal computers, which includes Office 2016 apps for your PC and Mac.
- Anywhere, anytime access: Access your files at anytime from any device, including tablets and mobile devices.
Learn how to download and install the Office suite on your PC or Mac computer.
Training and Resources
- Learn the basics
Get going quickly and easily with Office 365 video training.
- Training templates
Learn what’s possible with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Quick Starts
Get up to speed in no time with these popular guides.
- Save time with tips
Work smarter and get more out of your Office apps.
Adobe Creative Cloud - Requesting Access
The College has purchased licenses for students who need Creative Cloud for their class assignments this Fall. Students must first be assigned a new license, even if they previously had access. Please contact your instructor for assistance if Adobe Creative Cloud is required for your course.
Publisher and Other Vendor Offers
Many publishers and other vendors are offering free temporary access to their digital materials, tools and platforms to help students through the move to remote teaching and learning.
- Cambridge is providing free access to many online materials in their catalog.
- Cengage is providing free access to Cengage Unlimited through the end of the current academic term for US students attending colleges affected by COVID-19. This includes the entire Cengage catalog of eBooks, online courseware, study tools, and more.
- Lumen Learning is offering support for a mid-term transition to Lumen Courseware at no cost.
- McGraw Hill is providing free access, training and support for our McGraw-Hill Connect and ALEKS digital learning platforms to instructors and students who need to urgently move to an online format for their Spring 2020 courses.
- Miami Dade Public Library System always offers free access to learning materials and services, including Lynda.com, Tutor.com and Gale Cengage Learning. Note: A library card may be required for access to these materials and services.
- OpenStax materials are always offered free of charge and under an open license. Check out their support website for moving your course online using their materials.
- Pearson is offering several ways to ensure students can access materials at no additional cost for the remainder of the term.
- VitalSource: Students and instructors at impacted 2 and 4-year non-profit institutions in the U.S. and Canada can now access a catalog of etexts, through May 25, 2020 in the US and April 30, 2020 in Canada, at no charge.
- iClicker online student engagement solution is free of charge for students whose instructors are moving their courses online in response to COVID-19.
- SmartMusic: For schools impacted by COVID-19 closures who do not already have a SmartMusic subscription, we are offering free access through June 30, 2020. Please contact us and let us know your needs.
- SoftChalk is offering free access to SoftChalk Cloud from now through May 31, 2020 to anyone who may need it to quickly and easily create online lessons and course materials for delivery to students.
- TopHat platform is available free of charge for the rest of the semester to active classes transitioning to Top Hat.
Free Publisher Resources & Digital Materials
Access to Publisher Digital Materials
Get access to free publisher digital materials from leading publishers such as Cengage, McGraw Hill, Pearson, and more.
Cengage - COVID-19 - Resources for Students
Cengage Resources For Students Affected By Covid-19
The latest Cengage resources and student support.
If You Attend a School That is Suspending or Moving Classes Online:
We’re providing FREE access to our online platforms and online textbooks via a Cengage Unlimited subscription through the end of the Spring 2020 semester.
Student Access to Cengage Course Materials During COVID-19
You are eligible for free Cengage Unlimited access if your school has been affected by COVID-19*
Pearson - COVID-19 Higher Ed Resources
- Higher education resources
Colleges and universities across the world are getting creative with online options to keep students safe and healthy at home. There’s help and information for faculty and students who may be new to virtual teaching and learning.
- Cost-free resources for your changing needs
As your school is transitioning to online classes, you may need to switch from printed Pearson texts to digital versions. We’re working with our partners to ensure you have access to these materials at no additional charge for the remainder of the term.*
If your class uses a Pearson product supported by an ebook from VitalSource or RedShelf, you may be able to get immediate access at no charge.
South Florida Public Library Resources and Services
Online Catalog, Services, and Resources
Watch movies, listen to music, learn to code, conquer calculus, stream videos, download e-books, learn a language, take test-prep, tour museums and art galleries, and more... All for FREE with a valid library card from the respective county.