Institutions With the Largest Enrollments - Fall 2013
- MDC has the largest undergraduate enrollment of any college or university in the country.
- MDC enrolls more Hispanic undergraduate students than any other college or university, and is the third largest to enrolled Black non-Hispanic undergraduate students.
- MDC enrolled 92,085 credit students in academic year 2014-15.
- Credit student enrollment has increased 28% since 2000.
Institutions Conferring The Most Associate Degrees, 2012-13
- Miami Dade confers more associate degrees than any other community college in the country.
- #1 in associate degrees awarded to Hispanics.
- #1 in associate degrees awarded to African Americans.
- #1 in associate degrees in Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities.
- #1 in associate degrees in Nursing and #2 in Health Professions & Related Sciences.
Associate and Bachelors Degrees Awarded
- Since the college opened in 1960, more than 311,000 degrees and certificates have been awarded.
- Miami Dade awards more associate degrees than any other college in the country.
Transfer Rate and Job Placement
- 16% of transfer students in the State University System (SUS) come from MDC.
- 82% of 2012-13 Associate in Arts graduates found on follow-up had transferred to Florida universities or colleges (public and private) to continue their education within one year.
- The 2012-13 graduates with bachelors, associate in sciences, college credit certificates, and vocational credits were found employed on follow-up data in 2012-13.
Performance of Transfer Students
- 87% of MDC graduates who transferred to the State University System had satisfactory upper division GPAs during their first year.
- 85% of graduates who had begun in college preparatory at MDC had satisfactory upper division GPAs. - The proportions performing satisfactorily are similar to community college graduates statewide.
Associate in Arts Degree Success
Successful progression includes those students who graduated, are still enrolled in good standing,or left in good standing with transferable credits.
- Miami Dade's overall success rate is 89% for full-time students and 84% for part-time.
- While 45% of full-time students have graduated after three years, another 25% are still enrolled in good standing and 19% left with transferable credits.
Ethnic Characteristics of Credit Students
- MDC enrolls more minority students than any college or university in the U.S.
- Hispanics are 71% of our credit enrollment, and Black non-Hispanics are 17%.
Country of Citizenship, College-Wide - Credit Students, Fall 2014
- 49,552 (72%) students were U.S. Citizens in Fall 2014.
- MDC's non-citizen students come from at least 150 countries and speak approximately 76 different languages.
Native Language of Credit Students
- The influx of immigrants into Miami-Dade County is evident from the native languages reported by students. MDC students report 87 different native languages in Fall 2014.
- 54% report a native language of English.
- 38% report a native language of Spanish.
- Our Haitian population is reflected by 2,922 students with a native language of Creole or French.
Citizenship Status of Credit Students
- MDC's enrollment mirrors the influx of immigrants into Miami-Dade County.
- 22% of our credit students are resident aliens.
- Another 2% are in refugee or asylum categories.
- 2% are foreign visitors, including 1,064 on student visas and 369 on other types of visa.
- U.S. Citizens are 72% of the enrollment, and many of these are naturalized citizens.
Age of Credit Students, Fall 2014
- The average age of MDC credit students is 25.
- 31% of our credit students are 26 years old or older.
- 33% are the "traditional" college age of 18 to 20 years old.
Serving Underprepared Students
- Only 32% of incoming students test as college ready.
- 17% of all students and 19% of Hispanics test into EAP** coursework.
- 51% of all students need developmental education coursework in reading, writing or algebra, or some combination.
Reflecting Our Community
- In 2013-14, MDC drew 47% of all 2012-13 standard diploma graduates of Miami-Dade public high schools.
- State data for 2012-13 MDCPS graduates shows that MDC drew 67% of those who went on to public universities or colleges in Florida.
- Miami-Dade County's public high school graduates were 89% minority in 2012-13, compared to 49% minority statewide.