Committed to Making a Difference
The K-12 Teacher Education programs prepare our students to become innovative and competent future educators, willing to make a difference in their students’ lives, by completing programs that include:
- Extensive clinical experience that bridges theory and practice
- Research based best practices
- A dedicated faculty
- Technologically rich curriculum
- The Florida Department of Education’s common prerequisite courses are offered as part of the Associate in Arts program.
- Completion of the A.A. degree allows for full articulation into a Florida state university.
- Our K-12 state-approved Teacher Education programs are baccalaureate degrees in education that lead to Florida Teacher professional certification.
- Associate in Arts (AA) degree, or 60 credits including all general education requirements.
- Note: Associate in Science (AS) degree holders may need to take additional courses to complete the General Education requirements and cannot be fully admitted until completed
- Minimum of 2.5 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale
- All four sections passed of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination- General Knowledge Test (Reading, Essay, Mathematics, English)
- Common Education Prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of “C”
- EDF1005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity
- EME2040 Introduction to Educational Technology
- EEX2000-Introduction to Special Education
- Foreign language requirement: 2 years of the same language in High School or 8-10 college credits.
- Nine credits of diversity courses at the lower division level.
- Computer competency completed.
- Math and Science Ed majors must complete lower division discipline course requirements.
- Meet with a School of Education advisor to ensure that all graduation requirements are met before Internship. Requirements are based upon the year and term of entry into the School of Education baccalaureate program.
- Internship completed
- Passing scores on all parts of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (General Knowledge Test, Professional Exam and Subject Area Test)
- Completed all Coursework with a grade of “C” or better in each professional education course
- Overall GPA of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale
- Junior and Senior Years-Minimum 60 credits
- At least 30 hours at MDC
- Clinical Experiences’ teaching level and type of setting
- SOE E-Portfolio approved demonstrating mastery of all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices
- Recommendation of the SOE faculty.
NOTE: There may be changes in these requirements based upon revisions in State certification requirements or MDC program revisions. Students must see an SOE advisor for clarification.