Making Their Mark
MDC Literary Magazines Win Top Honors
When creative minds express themselves at Miami Dade College, beautiful things happen. All five of the student literary magazines produced at MDC recently earned top honors in a major collegiate competition sponsored by the Florida Community College Press Association (FCCPA) at the organization’s annual awards ceremony in Ocala, Fla.
Produced entirely by MDC students, the five magazines reflect the culture of the campuses in which they are created. The winning publications are Axis (North Campus), Café Cultura (Hialeah Campus), Metromorphosis (Wolfson Campus), Miambiance (Kendall Campus) and Urbana (InterAmerican Campus).
Having won several awards over the years, the magazines serve as a healthy platform for students to discover their artistic and literary freedom while promoting a connection to the entire community.
In addition to the FCCPA honors, the magazines celebrated additional victories when the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) held its annual awards ceremony in Louisville, Ky. Among the top honors, MDC student Julie Robison was a finalist for the 2010 Feature Story of the Year. Her piece, titled “Tainted,” was awarded Honorable Mention. “It was the first time we had a feature story finalist, so it was a real honor,” said Marta Magellan, faculty advisor to Miamibiance. The magazine also picked up fourth place for Best of Show for Literary Magazines at the competition, along with numerous honors at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Circle Awards at Columbia University in New York City.
Also, in separate competitions hosted by other college press organizations throughout the country, MDC’s literary magazines claimed numerous awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) and the Community College Humanities Association (CCHA).
The student magazines were recognized by these organizations for excellence in art, design, editing, photography and more. Miambiance was a finalist for ACP’s prestigious Pacemaker Award, while Axis claimed first place in CCHA’s annual magazine competition.
More Making Their Mark Articles
- MDC Physician Assistant Students Win Again
- Mastering Latin American Modernism
- Students Share Research With National Science Foundation
- Start-Up Founder Found Calling at MDC Honors College
- Carnegie Foundation Honors MDC Professor
- Serving Others Leads to Unexpected Award
- Honors College Prepared Her to Excel
- Professor’s Nudge Led to National Scholarship
- Honors College Helped Him Help Others
- The Art of Teaching Philosophy
- Innovative STEM Program Wins Chancellor’s Award
- MDC Dean to Lead National Association
- Award-Winning Student Newspapers Merge to Form State’s Largest