StatWay Creates Path to Success in Math
As it approaches its fall 2011 starting date, a new math program is creating buzz at Miami Dade College, home to part of its elite development team.
The “Statistics Pathway,” or StatWay, program will allow students who are pursuing degrees outside the fields of science, technology, engineering, mathematics and business to replace noncredit college-prep courses in math instruction with a new StatWay coursework that leads to three college credits in statistics.
”There is a lot of interest from students wanting to take this course,” said Saisnath Rickhi, North Campus mathematics professor and StatWay faculty project leader. “They are able to overcome their basic fear of math while earning college credit at the same time.”
Rickhi and his MDC colleagues, along with The Carnegie Foundation and 19 other community colleges across the nation that are identified as “high performing” by the Foundation, have been developing and piloting this program since the summer of 2010.
Recently, MDC’s StatWay team met with the two other participating teams in the state to discuss each institution’s progress in developing an exit exam and creating course numbers for the state.
Soon MDC will implement the course. When it is in place, math-challenged students will be able to gain confidence through a focus on statistics, data analysis and quantitative reasoning – skills essential for a growing number of occupations and professions.
“So much work has gone into this, from institutional research people to the deans and the faculty,” Rickhi said. “It’s really coming along.”
More Features Articles
- MDC President to Chair American Council on Education
- Albright Lights Up Miami and MDC
- Albright, Herbie and All That Jazz
- MDC Degrees, Certificates Pay Off for Graduates
- Aquatic Center Builds U.S. Homeland Security
- New Culinary Institute Offers Epicurean Excellence
- MDC’s Student Learning Outcomes Praised
- MDC Helps Meet U.S. Demand for Nurses
- Meek Center Keeps Building on MDC's Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Costa Rica Offers Lessons on Earth’s Wonders
- Chinese Culture Comes to Life at MDC
- Consortium Students Bring New Perspectives to MDC
- New Center to Meet Kendall Campus’ Growing Needs
- Gilman Scholarship Opens Doors for Study Abroad
- Opera Buffs Find Argentine Delights at Wolfson
- Great Stories Give Teens New Outlooks on Life
- Health Fair is Perfect Prescription for Community
- MDC Job Fair Links Graduates to Jobs
- Partnership Improves Aviation Safety in China