MDC Clinics Meet Local Health Needs
MDC’s Medical Campus provides excellent, affordable, accessible vision care.
Always reaching out to the community and students, MDC’s Medical Campus provides excellent, affordable, accessible vision care and dental hygiene services through clinics and outreach activities that help thousands of people every year.
The clinics also provide exceptional training to MDC students who work under the supervision of licensed professionals. Accepting all patients and having no eligibility requirement, the clinics charge a nominal $20 fee to help offset the rising cost of supplies.
MDC’s vision care clinic saw 1,600 patients last year and screened hundreds more at health fairs and special events, selling glasses and contact lenses at prices only slightly above wholesale.
”The impact to the community is astounding,” said clinic coordinator Jerry Brown. Were it not for the clinic’s screenings, “many individuals would go without lenses.”
MDC’s dental clinic, which sees about 1,500 people annually, provides oral exams, cleanings, fluoride treatments and more. Students and faculty also visit more than 20 elementary schools each year to teach students how to care for their teeth.
In addition, the College’s dental clinic has two important community partnerships with NOVA Southeastern University and the Dr. Rafael Peñalver Clinic in Little Havana, where students and faculty provide weekly services.
— Staff Report
More Academics Articles
- Grants Pave Road to Excellence
- Making 3,000 Dreams Come True
- MDC High Schools Set U.S. Bar Higher
- Students Ace Boards
- Poised to Excel
- Perfecting Their Pitches
- A Bachelor’s With a Bonus
- Nursing Programs Gets Maximum Accreditation
- MDC Helps Girls Break Glass Ceilings
- Medical Programs Lead to Hot Jobs
- Professor Honored for Service-Learning Effort
- MDC’s Virtual College is a Role Model for Others
- Lights, Cameras, Careers!
- MDC Produces Revolutionary Tech Advances