Hurricane Information

Dr. Eduardo J Padron

Message from the College President

As Hurricane Irma tested the strength and resilience of the South Florida community, our Miami Dade College family united as one —as it always does— to ensure the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff.

The storm, while destructive and inconvenient, has brought out the best in each of us, motivating us to patiently collaborate as we get our College back on its feet. For days, our campus teams and essential personnel have put in long hours to assess damages and ensure cleanup and recovery efforts are done safely and efficiently. Thank you for your patience and diligence as we return to normalcy.

Dr. Eduardo J. Padrón
College President

You Can Help

Make a donation to support Miami Dade College students affected by Hurricane Irma.

Donate Online

Frequently Asked Questions

The Student Food Pantry provides a means for students to stay focused on their academic studies despite any untimely financial hardships they may be faced with while pursuing a degree. Non-perishable items will be available for students impacted by the storm. For more information, visit the MDC Food Pantry.

Visit Miami Dade Transit for the latest information or call 3-1-1.

Yes, bus passes are available for students. Visit the bookstore on campus for more information.

Counseling Services are available at each campus. Visit the Student Dean’s office to schedule an appointment.

The College has begun processing financial aid and we anticipate that refunds will be processed as scheduled. Because classes start on different dates, the date of your disbursement may vary depending on the 100% refund date of your classes. As always, and much more urgently after the hurricane, getting much needed funds to eligible students is our highest priority.

Students impacted by Hurricane Irma should consult with instructors for information on how to make up assignments, quizzes and exams. The Hurricane affected the entire campus community and faculty are open to working with each individual student.

Students who are unable to attend some classes because of the after-effects of Hurricane Irma should inform each instructor and ask for options to make up class work, assignments, quizzes and exams.

Meet with your advisor to address your concern and explore support services available. If you have been impacted by Hurricane Irma to the point of missing a significant amount of classes or class work, you can file a petition for Grade Change to "W" or Refund. If approved, you will be dropped from the class(es) without penalty and issued a refund. View petition information.

Submit the completed form to the Student Dean’s Office at the campus where the course(s) was/were taken. Please note that for financial aid purposes,when you drop or withdraw from classes, it can cause you to lose financial aid, or require you to pay back financial aid to the federal government in some cases. Review the terms and conditions information.

A grade of “W’ will be recorded on your transcript for withdrawals and will count as an attempt for the class.  If you drop with a refund, there will be no evidence of the course on your academic transcript. For financial aid, when you drop or withdraw from classes, it can cause you to lose financial aid, or require you to pay back financial aid to the federal government in some cases. To keep financial aid, one of the requirements is to maintain a 67% completion rate. For financial aid purposes, a grade of “W” and a drop with refund both still count as an attempt in calculating your attempted vs. earned credit hours. It may, however, help you maintain the required 2.0 GPA to drop or get a “W” grade rather than a grade of “F.”

Yes. Please contact Jason Abreu, Director of Military and Veteran Services if you are a student veteran using GI Bill benefits and have concerns about the impact of withdrawing or dropping classes due to Hurricane Irma. Contact information is 305-237-0995 or

Single Stop is a one-stop source for students and immediate family members to be connected to public benefits and local resources. Single Stop offers students a wide array of services including benefits screening, free tax preparation, financial coaching, Food Pantry for Students and health insurance assistance. In October 2010, Miami Dade College’s partnership with Single Stop USA was established and more than 30,000 students and families have benefited from the program's services to date.

General help may be available by dialing 2-1-1. With 2-1-1, the United Way connects residents to critical health and social service resources. Resources include help with a household bill, food, and/or counseling for suicide prevention. The 2-1-1 help line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You may also search for services by zip code

Recovery Resources

Information and Assistance

General Miami-Dade County Information and Assistance. As Hurricane Irma recovery and cleanup efforts continues, please find the latest county information at the Emergency website. Or call the 311 Helpline for resources and information that is not on the website. (Expect phone delays due to high volume of calls.)

FEMA Assistance. Residents impacted by Hurricane Irma may register for federal disaster assistance through FEMA at, or through the FEMA App, or by calling 1-800-621-3362 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.

Department of Children and Families: SNAP. For information on Disaster SNAP (Food for Florida).
(A replacement of 40% of monthly SNAP benefits was approved for Dade County.)

Assistance for Veterans. Veterans impacted by Irma may be eligible for federal relief including rental assistance, relocation assistance and food vouchers. For information, call Support Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) providers. This includes homeless vets, those doubled up and those with damage to property, loss of food and/or belongings.

  • The Advocate Program: 786-227-5842 (Miami-Dade and Monroe).
  • Carrfour's Operation Sacred Trust: 855-778-3411 (Miami-Dade and Broward).

Free Legal Assistance. Floridians who cannot pay for an attorney may call the Legal aid Hotline at 866-550-2929. Assistance is available to Floridians affected by Hurricane Irma. The requestor will be matched with Florida lawyers who have volunteered to provide free legal help such as: securing FEMA and other benefits; property insurance claims; helping with consumer protection matters and mortgage-foreclosure problems or landlord/tenant issues.

Miami Dade College, Single Stop Offices. MDC students at the Kendall, North, or Wolfson campuses may visit the MDC Single Stop Office for assistance with the above registration sites. The Single Stop office can also help to locate hurricane assistance loans. Visit Single Stop to schedule an appointment or complete the online referral form.

Emotional Support

Helpline and Text line (SAMHSA disater information). The Disaster Distress Helpline is a 24/7, year round national hotline providing immediate crisis counseling for those experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. It is toll-free, multilingual, and confidential. Stress, anxiety, and depression-like symptoms are common after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

Miami Dade College, Counseling Services. The College has hired licensed counselors, one day a week, at each campus. The counselors can help you cope with the emotional distress from the storm, or other issues. Contact your campus Office of the Dean of Students for more information and to schedule an appointment.   

Finding Trusted Information

Rumor Control. After major storms, there are rumors, and scammers try to take advantage of the situation.

Finding Trusted Contractors. Also, county residents are encouraged to review the record of any contractors by using the Miami-Dade County Contractor Licensing Section online search.

Safety Concerns

Miami Dade College. If you observe any post hurricane concerns, please notify a campus authority or contact the campus Public Safety Office. Or, you can complete an anonymous College form