smART Exhibition Delights Art Lovers, Helps Students
MDC Builds Scholarship Fund While Promoting Latin American Art
Coming up with a clever plan for increasing art lovers’ understanding of contemporary Latin American works while also raising funds for the American Dream Scholarship Fund, Miami Dade College recently held its smART exhibition and sale.
The landmark event at MDC’s historic Freedom Tower in downtown Miami featured more than 130 pieces, from sculptures and paintings to photographs, installations and video art. Coinciding with the world-renowned Art Basel Miami Beach, smART explored the wide variety of perspectives found in artwork by contemporary Latin American artists living abroad and here in the United States.
The exhibition showcased the artwork of 86 established and emerging artists and 32 renowned galleries, representing eight countries.
Among the artists featured were Guillermo Kuitca, León Ferrari, Tania Candiani, Luis Gispert, José Antonio Hernández Diez and Danilo Dueñas.
“The diversity of themes and media in smART reflects the inexhaustible talent and creativity of these artists,” said Solita Mishaan, smART event chair. “MDC’s Freedom Tower provided the perfect space for discovery, thought and discussion among established artists and talented new ones, allowing viewers a fresh perspective on the art of the hemisphere.”
More Cultural Spotlight Articles
- International Book Fair Outshines Itself
- Sculptures Bring New Beauty to Campuses
- Route to Human Rights Starts at MDC
- Theater Program Produces Promethean Results
- MDC’s Theaters Offer Bevy of Delights
- Cultura del Lobo Enlivens Cultural Scene
- Artist Sets Sights on MDC
- MDC Exhibition Explores Nationalism
- Top Dancers Return for Tribute Show
- Latin Jazz Fills Fall Air