Building a Solid Future
For more than 10 years, MDC and Turner Construction have partnered to offer free training courses to small business owners in the construction industry, helping them build a better foundation for growth. This year, 56 students graduated from the Turner School of Construction Management Training Course, held this spring at Kendall Campus.
Course participants included a mixture of business owners, general contractors and subcontractors, specializing in everything from interior design to landscaping to plumbing. They can all apply the 40 hours of instruction they completed toward renewing their state licenses.
“Now more than ever is a good time for this course because small businesses need the training to better manage their companies in the current economy,” said Rhonda Wimberly, director of community affairs at Turner Construction.
Topics covered in the course included business development, pre-construction and estimating, contract surety bonds, bidding and purchasing procedures, safety on the jobsite, quality control, contract risk management, building information modeling (BIM), introduction to green building, LEED, blue print reading and specifications, construction ethics, Chapter 558 construction defects, and Chapter 489 construction law, among many other topics.
Additional partners of the Turner School of Construction Management Training Course include Miami-Dade County Small Business Development, Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce and Southern Florida Minority Supplier Development Council.
More Features Articles
- MDC: Best Place to Work, Again!
- MDC Producing Top Teachers
- Taxicab Driver Training Brings Back Service With a Smile
- MDC Makes President’s Honor Roll for Fifth Year
- Moving Image Archives Move Into 21st Century
- Former Colombian Leader Receives MDC’s Highest Honor
- A Noble Appointment
- Meeting the Needs of the Underserved
- Surviving the Golden Hour
- Virtual-Coach helps at-risk students, wins innovation award
- East Meets West at MDC’s Confucius Institute
- MDC Broadens Business Ties
- A Gateway to New Horizons
- MDC Expands Fast-Track Business Program
- Students Give A+ to Bachelor's Programs
- MDC, Wheaton Join Forces for Seamless Transfers
- Supervision Bachelor's Degree a Hit
- Work Solutions Puts People Back in Workforce
- Bachelor's in Biological Sciences to Meet Workforce Needs
- World Leaders Expand Students’ Global Perspectives
- Focusing on Diverse Abilities