Book Fair a Homecoming for Aspiring Authors
Too much of a good thing is ... better! The Miami Writers Institute of The Center for Literature and Theatre @ MDC will take place Nov. 16-18 during for the Book Fair. For the past seven years, the Institute has been held each spring; this year, it is being offered twice due to its phenomenal success and growing national recognition as the kind of writers' conference that offers deep, serious instruction.
"Twice a year, from now on," said Center Executive Director Alina Interián. "We are responding to a national and regional need. The number of registrants have really shown us that aspiring authors want what we offer them."
The Fall Institute will feature one- and three-day workshops by authors with literary and teaching résumés that include Guggenheims, a McArthur "Genius" grant, a Fulbright, an Emmy, PEN awards, NEA grants, Lannan Foundation awards and many more honors, in addition to faculty positions and directorships at prestigious universities, and some of the most lauded book titles of the past 20 years. Having served an unprecedented three terms as U.S. Poet Laureate, Robert Pinsky will teach one day of the Poet-three Poetry Workshop, as will Campbell McGrath and Li-Young Lee.
"People come from all over the country to the Miami Writers Institute because we are very thoughtful about the authors we bring to teach," said coordinator Lissette Méndez. "We make sure that each participant walks away with a substantial education in creative writing."
Other authors teaching this year are Pablo Medina, Ana Menéndez, Roy Peter Clark and José Ignacio Valenzuela, who will teach a workshop in Spanish. Publishing ins and outs will be covered by literary agent Amy Rennert and independent editor Marcela Landres.
Learn more at www.flcenterlitarts.com.
— Staff Report
More Cultural Spotlight Articles
- Falling in Love With Art
- MDC Brings Cinema Classics to Miami
- MDC Live! Gets New Director and Big Plans
- Inaugural Class Gets Cooking at MCI
- Spellbinding Jazz Returns to MDC
- World Ballet Stars Shine on MDC Stage
- Love of Learning Takes MDC Student to China
- NWSA Students Savor High Art in Europe
- CLACI Brings Timely World Issues to Forefront
- Five MDC Students Win Scholarships to China
- MDC Professor Wins Prestigious Poetry Award
- MDC Student Film a Scary Success
- Book Fair Celebrating Rich Legacy
- Delights Abound at Book Fair
- Tuyo is Feast for Senses