Community service and service learning are integral parts of the Community College Initiative Programs. With a minimum requirement of 100 hours of participation, CCI participants select projects or are given group projects, in which they can get involved. Many of the projects range from special events in the community, such as the National Day of Service and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, to those provided by different organizations on and off-campus. At the end of the year, participants will be awarded by both Miami Dade College and the CCI Program for their accomplishments and contribution to the community.
Examples of projects for this year:
- June — Hands Across the Sand
- September — National Day of Service: Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah
- November — Miami Book Fair International
- Miami International Film Festival
- Country Presentations for MDC students/local high schools
- September — Harvest Moon Festival with Confucius Institute
- Helping Hands (Assist different departments on campus)
- November — 2011 International Conference on Clean & Renewable Energy
- January — Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- February — Global Classrooms Model UN Conference / MDC Miami "Student Ambassador" Program
- March — Culinary Event hosted by Four Ambassadors in Brickell (Downtown Miami)
If you or your organization is interested in providing community service/ service learning opportunities for CCI participants, please feel free to contact Nate Crayton at 305–237–70790 or firstname.lastname@example.org.