Honors College Qualifications
MDC Honors College students are selected via a competitive process that includes an online application, letters of recommendation, official test scores, writing samples and a possible interview.
There are multiple ways for applicants to tell their stories and demonstrate that they are prepared to be an Honors College Fellow. Applicants are evaluated on the entirety of their background, personal qualities, academic preparation and life experience.
Applicants must demonstrate that they are college-ready through standardized test scores and grade point average (GPA). Please review the application requirements below to determine eligibility.
- Only first time in college applicants are eligible. This means that at the time of application, the applicant has not earned any college credit except for dual enrollment.
- The minimum preferred GPA is a 3.7 (weighted or unweighted). If GPA is 3.7 or above, then the applicant must satisfy the MDC College Ready Standardized Test Scores described below in order to meet eligibility criteria. Multiple test scores may be submitted from the ACT, SAT, and PERT to satisfy this requirement. The admissions committee will superscore, which means they will consider the highest score achieved in each test.
- If the GPA is below a 3.7, then the applicant must satisfy the MDC College Ready Standardized Test Scores AND ONE of the Additional Honors College Standardized Test Requirements for GPA Below 3.7 described below.
- Consideration for The Honors College Dual Language program at Eduardo Padrón Campus requires a score of 600 on the SAT Spanish Subject Test OR a score of 4 or higher on the AP Spanish Language or Literature test. Students who have not taken either of these tests are required to score a 70 on the Translation & Interpretation Spanish exam offered at the EPC Testing Center only. Visit the Testing and Assessment site for details on days and times.
MDC College Ready Standardized Test Scores
- ACT: Reading 19, Math 19, English 17
- SAT: Reading 24, Math 24, Writing and Language 25
- Pert: Reading 106, Math 114, Writing 103
Additional Honors College Standardized Test Requirements for GPA Below 3.7
- ACT: 26 composite
- SAT: 1270 total score
- Pert: not accepted