Miami Dade College Homepage > Financial Aid > Learn the Basics

Standards of Academic Progress Appeal Guide


To petition for the reinstatement of your financial aid, please complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the Standards of Academic Progress Appeal form, available at the following link:

  2. Print and review your Degree Audit—can be printed from the Student Portal at the link below: 

  3. Write a personal statement (typed is preferred by committee) indicating the reasons for your failure to meet the Financial Aid Standard of Academic Progress and the changes that you have made to ensure satisfactory progress will be met at the next evaluation. Your personal statement should include explanations for each term you did not successfully complete and/or the reason you have excess credits.

  4. Obtain a My Academic Plan or MAP.—meet with an academic advisor to complete the MAP. An academic advisor will plan your enrollment for the upcoming terms. You must follow this plan and make satisfactory academic progress to receive future financial aid. Please contact the Advisement and Career Services office at your campus for assistance.

  5. Attach supporting documentation that directly supports your personal statement. The supporting documentation should indicate both what occurred to prevent your meeting the standards of academic progress and when it occurred. Please ensure that your documentation supports each term affecting your progress. Some examples of supporting documentation in certain circumstances may include the following:

    Illness or injury to the student or student's parent, sibling, spouse or child could be supported with the following documentation:
    • Letter on official letterhead signed by the attending physician stating the illness/injury and the services provided to the student, as well as related dates. The illness/injury must have occurred during the term for which this petition is requested.
    • If the student suffered an accident, an official report of the occurrence such as a police report should be submitted as well.
    • If illness/injury pertained to the student's parent, sibling, spouse or child, the student should provide proof of relationship to the ill/injured relative (i.e., birth certificate of the student's ill/injured child or student's marriage license to ill/injured spouse.

    Involuntary work schedule change or transfer could be supported with the following documentation:
    • Letter on official company letterhead signed by the employer/supervisor indicating student's original work schedule, effective date of schedule change, and the new work schedule.
    • If the student was hired, terminated or transferred during the term for which the petition is requested, then the letter should state effective dates of employment, termination or transfer. 

    Jury duty or student's direct involvement with current legal action could be supported with the following documentation:
    • Official record or written statement signed by the clerk of jury duty or legal action. Divorce documents and/or court records should also be submitted.

    Death of the student's parent, sibling, spouse or child requires the following documentation:
    • Copy of obituary/death certificate naming the deceased and proof of the student's relationship.

    Involuntary call to active military duty could be supported with the following documentation:
    • Copy of military orders or official documentation regarding your deployment

  6. Once you have all of these items together, submit the complete package to the financial aid office. Your appeal will be reviewed by a committee and you will be informed of the decision via your MDC email account.

Miami Dade College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees.
Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Miami Dade College.
Miami Dade College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution which does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, marital status, age, religion, national origin,
disability, veteran’s status, ethnicity, pregnancy, sexual orientation or genetic information. Additional information may be obtained by contacting the
Office of Equal Opportunity Programs/ADA Coordinator/Title IX Coordinator, at 305.237.2577.