Leadership and Job Opportunities
Make a difference in the lives of children with this part-time employment opportunity.
America Reads is a national initiative dedicated to helping children read well and independently by the end of third grade. Through this Federal Work Study program at Miami Dade College, you'll tutor students at one of 52 elementary schools and after school programs throughout Miami-Dade County as part of an effort that helps several thousand children learn to read every week.
To be eligible for this program, you must
- have a 2.0 GPA
- be enrolled or have already passed ENC1101
- have Federal Work Study as part of your financial aid package
- be enrolled in six (6) credit hours per semester at Miami Dade College
If you are interested in becoming an America Reads tutor, you must apply at your campus Institute for Civic Engagement and Democracy office.
AmeriCorps offers thousands of opportunities to put your skills and ideals into practice, helping to make a difference in the lives of those around you. Opportunities available to students at Miami Dade College include part-time, summer and full-time positions. There are hundreds of ways you can help through the following programs:
- College Access: Students have the opportunity to earn an education award by mentoring students in 6th-12th grade at approved nonprofit organizations for at least 300 hours over the course of one year. Apply for this program.
- Strong Women Strong Girls: A nationally recognized mentoring program that connects at-risk elementary school girls in grades 3-5 with college women who volunteer as mentors.
- VISTA: Members serve full-time for one year at a nonprofit with the goal of ending poverty. VISTA members receive a living stipend, health care, other benefits, and an end-of-term education award.
As a Student Ambassador, you will earn money as you help your community. Through the Institute for Civic Engagement and Democracy, this Federal Work Study program provides you with training, and leadership and professional skills. The greatest reward is the personal growth and gratification you receive through your ability to inspire others.
To apply for this program, you must:
- have a 2.5 GPA;
- have Federal Work Study as part of your financial aid package;
- be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours per semester at Miami Dade College.
Student ambassadors are selected based on their commitment to service and scholarship, and play a key role in promoting the ethic of service at Miami Dade College. As part of the job responsibilities, student ambassadors commit at least 17 hours a week over the course of the semester, assisting activities that include:
- recruiting and tracking new service-learning students;
- making class presentations to orient new students to service learning;
- assisting the staff with day-to-day operations;
- monitoring and preparing paperwork and reports;
- helping to organize one major service event per term to correspond with Make a Difference Day, National Youth Service Day, or other events;
- helping to organize a student leadership symposium to be held in the winter term.
To apply for a Civic Ambassador position visit to search and apply for the position.