The Mission of Miami Dade College is to change lives through the opportunity of education.
As democracy’s college, MDC provides high-quality teaching and learning experiences that are accessible and affordable to meet the needs of our diverse students and prepare them to be responsible global citizens and successful lifelong learners. The College embraces its responsibility to serve as an economic, cultural and civic beacon in our community.
The Mission of Medical Campus is to provide students with affordable, accessible, quality education in health care careers. Faculty and staff strive to respond to the changing needs of students, health care providers, and health care consumers in the community at large through collaboration with health care and business communities. The Campus provides an environment that is conductive to learning by recognizing and responding to the diverse learning styles, cultures, and resources of its students.
The Mission of the School of Health Sciences is to provide excellent, affordable, accessible health care education and to promote quality health care services in our community.
The Mission of the Vision Care Technology/Opticianry Program is to provide excellent eye care education and service to the students and the community.
Miami Dade College Learning Outcomes
Miami Dade College has adopted the General Education Outcomes listed below. Upon completion of a program of study at the Medical Campus, graduates from Miami Dade College should emulate these outcomes.
- Communicate effectively using listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Use quantitative analytical skills to evaluate and process numerical data.
- Solve problems using critical and creative thinking and scientific reasoning.
- Formulate strategies to locate, evaluate, and apply information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse cultures, including global and historical perspectives.
- Create strategies that can be used to fulfill personal, civic, and social responsibilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical thinking and its application to issues in society.
- Use computer and emerging technologies effectively.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for aesthetics and creative activities.
- Describe how natural systems function and recognize the impact of humans on the environment.
The goals of the Vision Care Technology/Opticianry Program are consistent with the stated goals of Miami Dade College and include the student, faculty, institution, and community.
- Student goals
- To accomplish the educational objectives of each course and to fulfill the criteria used to evaluate student success.
- To develop the professional attitudes and discipline necessary for success in the ophthalmic health care professions.
- Faculty goals
- To provide teaching/learning experiences for students which develop specific knowledge of concepts and skills pertaining to the community served by the institution. To develop and define the objectives of each course, including laboratory and clinical experiences.
- Faculty goals also include developing methods and tools to measure students’ achievement.
- Educational institution goals
- To maintain accreditation of the Vision Care Technology/Opticianry Program.
- To prepare the graduates to successfully pass the credentialing process
(licensure/certification/registration) for their particular career option(s).
- To provide a vision care professional with a broad educational background to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public.
- To provide the graduates with a sound background for their future education, life pursuits, and compete in today’s global economy.
- Community related goals
- To provide the ophthalmic community with a skilled graduate qualified by academic and clinical training to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a vision care technician or optician.
- To promote cooperation among the Vision Care Industry that will utilize and recognize the graduates’ skills.
- To eliminate hazardous waste and reduce non-hazardous waste to the minimum levels economically and technically practical, and to be in full-compliance with all federal and state environmental regulations.